Notices

496 mag procharger !

Old 09-13-2011, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 mag procharger !

g,day blokes !
chasing information regarding installation of procharger 3.5 psi on a stock 496 mag in a 23 baja outlaw (2008)...have been checking it out on the web but all information seems to be a bit out of date......am i asking for trouble fitting this to my toy.as i am in perth,australia it is a bit hard to get all the facts.......any info would be much appreciated !!!!!!! cheers brett...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

If you insist on installing a blower on a 496 MAG without touching the internals, I would recommend contacting Dustin at Whipple and installing one of their kits. It will be a much more straightforward installation and you will have better technical support for any problems that arise.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
If you insist on installing a blower on a 496 MAG without touching the internals, I would recommend contacting Dustin at Whipple and installing one of their kits. It will be a much more straightforward installation and you will have better technical support for any problems that arise.
agreed
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM
It's a Wicked Rush!!!
Gold Member

Brett..........Listen, been running a 3.5psi set-up on my 496 for over 200 hrs with no issues..period! Here are the keys....
1.Run it a bit rich...don't be tempted to lean it...it WILL make more power, but rich is safe
2. You have a later engine...the fuel managment set-up is different after mid 2003. Do your homework and understand how it works.
2. Don't hammer it out of the hole, smooth transition to plane. You don't have to treat it like juggling eggs but no need to pound the start.. remember, there is always someone faster!
3. Change your oil every 25 hrs faithfully...Mobil 1 15w-50 with a nice K&N 2002. Oil pressure perfect and runs nice and cool.
4. Dump the Procharger regulator for a nice Bell Engineering unit. Great fine tuning ability throughout the throttle range. Most supercharging issues with the 496 surround poor fuel managment and Bell takes care of that.
5.Although I didn't re-cal the PCM for the first 100 hrs, I elected to have Whipple do it for me later, snappier response. Better control management at all rpm's. You'll gain a bit more RPM's, but remember the motor doesn't make anymore power over 5000 rpms so DON'T PUSH IT!
6.Don't hold it open to the stops for long, use it when you need it...like a nitrous blast....I repeat, there is always someone faster!! Hope that helps. Good Luck. Jim
Old 09-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Registered

Default cheers....

Thanks jim, will take it all onboard appreciate the info !
Old 09-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by jpmac
Brett..........Listen, been running a 3.5psi set-up on my 496 for over 200 hrs with no issues..period! Here are the keys....
1.Run it a bit rich...don't be tempted to lean it...it WILL make more power, but rich is safe
2. You have a later engine...the fuel managment set-up is different after mid 2003. Do your homework and understand how it works.
2. Don't hammer it out of the hole, smooth transition to plane. You don't have to treat it like juggling eggs but no need to pound the start.. remember, there is always someone faster!
3. Change your oil every 25 hrs faithfully...Mobil 1 15w-50 with a nice K&N 2002. Oil pressure perfect and runs nice and cool.
4. Dump the Procharger regulator for a nice Bell Engineering unit. Great fine tuning ability throughout the throttle range. Most supercharging issues with the 496 surround poor fuel managment and Bell takes care of that.
5.Although I didn't re-cal the PCM for the first 100 hrs, I elected to have Whipple do it for me later, snappier response. Better control management at all rpm's. You'll gain a bit more RPM's, but remember the motor doesn't make anymore power over 5000 rpms so DON'T PUSH IT!
6.Don't hold it open to the stops for long, use it when you need it...like a nitrous blast....I repeat, there is always someone faster!! Hope that helps. Good Luck. Jim
Typo - The K&N filter number would be HP 3002.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered

have the same set-up,with better internals....love it so far...the blower pulley clears the rear seat by 1/4 inch...have your heavy friends sit somewhere else...good luck
Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 PM
It's a Wicked Rush!!!
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Typo - The K&N filter number would be HP 3002.
No typo Knot.....the 3002 "tophat" gives me clearance problems in my particular application...to close to the hatch mirror for my liking! Either will work. Obviously the 3002 has more capacity than the 2002!

Jim