Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   On - Off - On again Don Aronow race (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/262709-off-again-don-aronow-race.html)

Top Banana 09-21-2011 09:22 AM

On - Off - On again Don Aronow race

Well, here we go again. I arrived home from the gym a little while ago and opened an e-mail from Billy that said…”The number of entrants has increased and the race is on!!”

So, I called him and found out that Billy has had a habit over the years of running his poker runs with a late entry attitude. He allowed people to just show up on the morning of the run and they entered and ran. When word got out that the race was postponed, he got a lot of calls from people that intended to enter but had never bothered to let him know…they were just going to show up on the morning and enter.

I don’t know how many total boats, I don’t know what kind of boats other than, the only brand that the owners seems to feel confident to run in open water is Outerlimits.

When offshore racing was in it’s prime, the manufacturer’s of both boats and engines were the bulk of the fields. The private teams would buy last year’s race boat from the factory and then race along with the crowd. That just doesn’t happen anymore.

When HORBA was founded we only had two goals.
1..To save the old race boats before they are gone forever.
2 To have venues to show them.

Billy Frenz was the very first guy to offer us a venue. His NYC poker run allowed the great old race boat Dry Martini to be seen by the public after many years off the scene.

If he decides to go ahead next year with the race, I am advising him to run it the British way….Anyone interested puts up a non refundable deposit by a certain date. If there are not enough deposits, the race is off.

This year he had an entry fee of $600 by a certain date and a $1,000 entry fee for anytime after that. That didn’t work very well as we all know.

So the race is on….for those who have said they were going to enter, now is your chance, call Billy and let him know.

New race date is Sunday the 25th...same starting times.

Big Time 09-21-2011 09:29 AM

Good to hear. Is it Sat or Sunday?

scarab63 09-21-2011 09:37 AM

Banana.
Like I've said from the get go...
Ive continuously defended the promoter(s) and the venue and thought it should b done how they feel works best for everyone.

But its starting to look like the blind leading the blind at this point

I figured with veteran racers / promoters / boaters things would run smoother than this. Gave benifit of doubt perhaps prematurely??

Hope this falls together
Hopefully next yr if there is a nexy yr will go smoother and be lead with a clearer more decisive pilot

Mike D

kreed 09-21-2011 09:46 AM

Hey, sometimes bad press is better than NO press! Hahaha, I hope this race becomes a big deal and good luck to everyone entering! :boat::boat::boat:

Top Banana 09-21-2011 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Big Time (Post 3508493)
Good to hear. Is it Sat or Sunday?

Sunday the 25th.....original rain date on the Coast Guard permit.

SS930 09-21-2011 11:20 AM

I'm glad to hear this is on again. I've broken balls regarding the promotion, but I honestly really want this to happen and I love the idea of the event (even if the execution to this point has been questionable).

If Billy has agreed to run the race it must be at the break even point or better, so I'm assuming there are at least 4+ boats at this time... which is great news.

As long as my schedule remains clear, I plan on going out to spectate... I'm looking forward to the show guys!!! Good luck to all the racers! :cool:

1MOSES1 09-21-2011 11:43 AM

good luck to the organizers, promoters, and competitors...hope the event is a real success.

fantastixvoyage 09-21-2011 12:31 PM

Best of luck to everyone. Like many here I wish this event success as the concept is great.

It was mentioned in the other thread for HORBA to team up with OPA. What a great idea! Already a huge core group in both the midwest and northeast, with plenty traveling to FL for Bimini so support for the three race series is nearly a sure thing. Make it happen HORBA!!!!

lucky strike 09-21-2011 02:49 PM

Best of luck guys

GLH 09-22-2011 05:38 AM

Hope all goes well.

Love that kind of point to point events.