Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat shopping at LOTO this weekend. Any recommendations? >

Boat shopping at LOTO this weekend. Any recommendations?

Notices

Boat shopping at LOTO this weekend. Any recommendations?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned, call Brett w/Performance Boat Brokerage. You might visit next Friday/Saturday too. PBB & Waves & Wheels are hosting a parking lot event at W&W (along 54 S approximately 1-2 miles past KK) Friday afternoon/evening of 9/30 and a fun run ending @ Dog Days Saturday 10/1. Should be a good fall weekend @ the lake. Good luck & have fun shopping!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop anywhere you see boats and browse, too. Look them over closely and educate yourself on the differences between them. The more you learn, the more focused you will become on which boat is right for you. Just like Saturday morning cartoons used to teach us... knowledge is power!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Doors are open Saturday at Performance Boat Brokerage 9-2. If you have questions about one of our boats or need me to stay later I'll be more than happy.

Brett Manire

Performance Boat Brokerage

402-304-5342
Old 09-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Steve0782 - Did you have any luck boat shopping @ LOTO?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Registered

Envision, thanks for asking! I would consider the day a success. Started off the morning at Performance Boat Brokerage where I met Brett. All the good things I've read about him on here seem to be true. Real nice guy, was patient and very helpful answering questions. Has a '98 29' Baja OL that I liked. Told him to let me know if anything else comes down the pipeline give me a shout. Also, sounds like his place is on the top of my list for using his boat storage/launching services.

Then went down to Bergers Marina to look at this '90 35' Fountain Lightning.

http://www.boatcrazy.com/search/deta...ake%3Dfountain

Boat was very nice for its age and every bit as good as it looked in the pictures and description. Owned by some real nice 68 year old man for the last 6 years. Took it out for a test ride for quite a while. However, when I was looking at it some guy who looked at this boat last weekend called the owner wanting to come look at it again. But this guy wasn't coming until I decided what I was going to do on it. Needless to say I told the owner I'd have to think about it and this was my first day boat shopping. Didn't seem real smart to just purchase something my first day out w/o looking at some other boats first. If the owner sells it then so be it, it's a risk I'm willing to take. The owner did call me earlier tonight to let me know the boat didn't sell, although this other guy did make him an offer. As of right now the owner won't budge on price and he wants $4K extra for the trailer. I'm struggling with the year on this boat, even with it being a Fountain w/low hours and clean like it is. I know boats are different, but 20+ years old is still 20+ years to me. I feel like if I'd buy it and plan on keeping it for some years, then it probably wouldn't be bad, but if I want to upgrade in a couple years I might run into a problem with this becoming a "cash only" type boat which then it starts to get harder finding people in this category. It might be hard for people to find financing on something this old. But maybe I'm off base here on what I'm saying.

So what do you guys think on this Fountain? Was I smart to pass for now? Should I have snatched it up?...or are some of you B-lining straight to LOTO to snatch it up yourselves? I think somewhere between $30-35K w/trailer would be a good deal.

Oh, and last but not least, as I'm looking at this Fountain I see some other bad ass 42' Fountain Poker Run (I think that's what it was) come pulling up to the dock and tie off. It's two guys and a girl and both the guys stop and start looking at the Fountain I'm looking at and telling the owner how clean it was and everything else. Well turns out one of the guys was Eddie right here from OSO. Man what a coincidence. So it was cool meeting him. Although I'm sure his friend is probably bumming on the damage he did to his drives earlier today on his 42. Not sure what exactly happened there, but I'll let Eddie tell that story if he cares to.

Summary, good first day. Gained some more knowledge, getting more familiar with everything including just LOTO itself and navigating my way arond it, starting to get a feel for what to expect with some of these boats, etc. And of course, I got to meet some cool people that are on OSO here.

-Steve
Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Steve,
That Fountain looks good. I'd be proud to own it. Looks like a deal to me but make sure it turns your crank. If you buy it make it contingent on a survey. This will cost you but it will be reassuring to know that there's no rot or other hard to see issues. I know from first hand experience that these surveyors can miss things, but find a good one and if it checks out good your deal is even better.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Think you'd be hard pressed to find a cleaner lookin, better boat that size than that fountain for the price!!! Not just saying this because I own A fountain...

Last edited by jmoore1225; 09-25-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

The Fountain seems nice at quick glance but it is older as you mentioned. It really depends on what you want from a boat, size, age, trailer, etc. Is speed or cockpit space more important? You can't go wrong working with Brett @ PBB either. I can also say, don't let "another interested buyer" push you to close a boat you are looking at. There will always be another. Keep is in the loop. You visiting LOTO to shop again? Happy to hear you enjoyed your time.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SteveO782
However, when I was looking at it some guy who looked at this boat last weekend called the owner wanting to come look at it again. But this guy wasn't coming until I decided what I was going to do on it.
sounds like a sales pitch...
Old 09-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Envision, yes I will be visiting LOTO again and I'd say more than likely it'll be soon here in the near term. Kind of ran out of time this first time around and didn't get to look at as much as I wanted to.

Also, just wanted to thank everyone who's been posting replies to this and offering advice. Much appreciated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.