Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is this a scam?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/262792-scam.html)

CigaretteSam 09-22-2011 10:09 AM

Is this a scam??

Someone replied to my ad online for my Mini Hawk.....could it be a scam from someone? And, what would be the reason?

Here's what I received:

Hello

Thanks for the mail,

Am okay with the boat and the asking price, I will like you to know that i will be sending you a non refundable deposit in a cashiers check.the deposit is to hold the boat available as i want my agent to come and inspect the boat on my behalf at the moment.

You are to deduct $1,000.00 non refundable deposit from the cashier check as your deposit to secure the boat available.
The $1,000.00 non refundable deposit you are deducting from the cashier check is for you to hold the boat available due to the fact that i do not want to lose this boat, the difference of the cashiers check should be wire to my agent via western union money transfer after you must have received the certified cashier check and deducted your own share $1,000.00 non refundable deposit.

The $1,000.00 is not part of the sale asking price for the boat it only a non refundable deposit to hold the boat available for my agent to arrive in your location to inspect the boat as soon as you receive the deposit from the courier service in your location.

I want my agent to come to your location and inspect the boat in person with you.
All the information needed in this- transaction will be forwarded to you after you must have received the deposit payment from courier service, my agent -information as soon as you received the payment package.

Your full sale asking price will be paid to you via bank to bank transfer after my agent has finished inspecting the boat, I will be responsible for applicable Sales Tax.
Please confirm this and provide payment information for cashier check payment to be delivered to you via Courier. Payment Information:

1,Your legal name,

2, Full contact address

3,* Zip Code

4, Cell Phone#

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee 09-22-2011 10:11 AM

Without a doubt it is a scam.

Cain8768 09-22-2011 10:11 AM

yes, this is a scam. I have had this exact same response to numerous vehicles I have sold in the past.

CigaretteSam 09-22-2011 10:15 AM

Thanks guys, i knew there was something that didnt seem right- just making sure :)

gsxr1216 09-22-2011 10:59 AM

100% scam

TexomaPowerboater 09-22-2011 11:59 AM

Scam, do a search on the email address used and it will probably pop right up.

nkosi 09-22-2011 01:38 PM

Yup!!!

nkosi 09-22-2011 01:39 PM

Counterfeit check scams – victims are sent counterfeit checks and asked to keep a portion for services rendered and remit the balance to a third party before the check is found to be counterfeit.

MidOcean 09-22-2011 01:44 PM

Don't walk Sam, Run!

JETTDOGG 09-22-2011 02:15 PM

Yup!!!!!!...........my Buddy Got Hit For 700 From A "pretty Girl" On The Web With A Similar Pitch And Had Bank Security Calling Him