Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits sets new record (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/262933-outerlimits-sets-new-record.html)

T2x 09-29-2011 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2 (Post 3514893)
At that point its not racing. Its wishing and hoping upon a star!!! Whats the word for it...Oh yea, "LUCK".

Pretty lame in my book.

Your opinions are all valid...However... Had this been a more "normal" fall day, the water conditions would have made the record speed impossible...... There certainly should be a few classes.... single Outboard, multi OB, single IB, twin IB, Historical...and that's about it. It is interesting that the "Joe's" used modest power....since mega power motors probably can't sustain more than 50 or 60 miles of rough water racing and also burn fuel like their tanks are leaking.

One other point of clarification.....Sorry Billy and Charlie....

Don Aronow in no way "pioneered" the Around Long Island Marathon. He entered it 4 or 5 times, I believe, out of the 8-10 years it lasted before the event moved to the Jersey shore as the Hennessey Grand Prix and later Benihana, Walsh, etc, etc.

The race was started by a group of LI boat dealers, racers, and builders in concert with folks like Guy Lombardo, Al Grover, Rick Stein and others. It became a staple on the Offshore circuit due to interest from Mercury Marine, Glastron, Eltro, Crusader, American Finn and the APBA's new Offshore special events which included the Miami Nassau race and the Hurricane Classic. In those days inshore and offshore marathon classes were frequently mixed together and some boats raced in both. In fact a twin engine 18 foot Powercat won it one year with Odell Lewis and Johnny Bakos driving for the "Old Man" long before Donzi or Formula were a gleam in Don's eyes... (See Below). This was in the late 50's and early 60's before Aronow was Aronow..... and Sam Griffith was the biggest name in the sport.

It is a fitting tribute to Don that the revival is dedicated in his honor, but he in no way was a founder of the event.

T2x

T2x 09-29-2011 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 3515435)
Back? ... Obviously…

:drink:

Didn't the Oklahomer National Guard invade Vermont yet?...

:D :D

innerrage 09-29-2011 08:19 AM

BRAVO, WELL SAID,ABOUT TIME, AND WELCOME BACK T2x

Top Banana 09-29-2011 09:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3515442)
One other point of clarification.....Sorry Billy and Charlie....

Don Aronow in no way "pioneered" the Around Long Island Marathon. He entered it 4 or 5 times, I believe, out of the 8-10 years it lasted before the event moved to the Jersey shore as the Hennessey Grand Prix and later Benihana, Walsh, etc, etc.

The race was started by a group of LI boat dealers, racers, and builders in concert with folks like Guy Lombardo, Al Grover, Rick Stein and others. It became a staple on the Offshore circuit due to interest from Mercury Marine, Glastron, Eltro, Crusader, American Finn and the APBA's new Offshore special events which included the Miami Nassau race and the Hurricane Classic. In those days inshore and offshore marathon classes were frequently mixed together and some boats raced in both. In fact a twin engine 18 foot Powercat won it one year with Odell Lewis and Johnny Bakos driving for the "Old Man" long before Donzi or Formula were a gleam in Don's eyes... (See Below). This was in the late 50's and early 60's before Aronow was Aronow..... and Sam Griffith was the biggest name in the sport.

It is a fitting tribute to Don that the revival is dedicated in his honor, but he in no way was a founder of the event.

T2x

Rich.....as you are just a "Johnny come lately" on this thread and misssed all of the good natured jabs of the earlier thread....on which I stopped posting .....Sam Griffith was mentioned quite clearly, along with photos of course, and at no time did either Billy or myself claim that Don had founded the Around Long Island marathon.

However, of your last three section explanation of offshore racing....I wasn't quite sure what that was, but Mikey from Finland told me it was OK.....so I totally agree.

Nice to have you back, but feel free to really tell us how you feel.

PARADOX 09-29-2011 10:05 AM

WTF? Rich? Are you snowed in? I haven’t read a boat novel like this since Jules Verne’s 20m leagues under the sea. LOL
Keep it coming, I enjoy your “narratives”.
No one referenced the recent race, as Don’s, or that he is the founder of the event. It is simply to commemorate his legacy.
Couple things regarding the “Record braking”. Just IMHO.
While I congratulate the OL team and it’s great that they did it in record time, I use the term strictly in mathematical reference.
I don’t consider it as the same “type or run” that it was done long ago. This is like saying the Concord broke the record of “Spirit of St Louis”. Different era, different equipment.
I think there should be two major categories in any “Old School” race.
A) Similar old school boats with similar HP running the “old” course, and B) new boats with new equipment. Each category should have Simple sub categories. IE; A-1 “V”s up to 30’ A-2 “V” over 30’ A-3” cats up to 30” etc. I would not based the classes on number of engine and displacement but on HP.
It would be nice to see a whole slue of events commemorating the “Grates Racers” of yesteryear..
Don is not the only great racer ever lived. :)

(Hint hint... )

T2x 09-29-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 3514831)
Just in from Billy and the NPBA www.nationalpowerboat.com

2011 Don Aronow Marathon
Race Around Long Island

RECAP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the comeback of the event that Don Aronow pioneered back in the early 60’s.

Billy Frenz

Sorry Charlie..... But this is the quote I am referring to. I am not sure what you folks meant...but this is what you wrote

Rich

MikeyFIN 09-29-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3515164)
Having to divide the fleet into classes is what my friends in the business world call "a high-class problem." Given the limited interest so far and the various "equalizers" inherent in such a run, I don't see a need for it. Yet.

Has to be close to 50 entrants IMO for a need to split up the field even to 2 classes...

Who needs 10 classes with 5 participants and 3 gets a prize per class....people would get bored stiff at the prize ceremony.

78CIG24 09-29-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3515594)
Sorry Charlie..... But this is the quote I am referring to. I am not sure what you folks meant...but this is what you wrote

Rich

Maybe they meant "Pioneered" as in "helped to make famous"???

In reality if his name hadn't been attached to this race we probably wouldn't be discussing it today....doubt anyone would click on the link saying "Rich's Memorial Long Island Race"..

Ha, Ha... J/K

MikeyFIN 09-29-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by scarabman (Post 3515346)
I This may be a race to race for the sake of racing, old school style. If you win great, if not, at least you raced.

+1

* The Hunting Dogs are back....

Top Banana 09-29-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3515594)

Rich

Pioneered vs Founded

We meant he was one of the early pioneers of the race, one of the early entrants, participants.

Founders would have been, the Billy and Charlie within the boat dealers community back in the 50's.

Confusing use of words, but Mikey from Finland proofed it for us!!!