Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits sets new record (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/262933-outerlimits-sets-new-record.html)

Catastrophe 09-26-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 3512226)
Real ocean racing over long distance is a very different animal than other kinds of racing. Some of the conditions that the crew has to keep in mind are:

You can't win unless you finish. This means you can't go all out from the start and leave nothing in reserve. This is often the reason that slower boats often win big events.

How much fuel does your boat really use in these conditions. Will you have enough to make it all the way.....or be a wonder for most of the race and then run out 5 miles from the end?

Navigation at high speed is not easy on any day of the week, but then you add in some of the weather problems of yesterday and it becomes a nightmare. As they approached Montauk, they ran into a heavy fog bank.

Not being able to see too far in front of them, they relied on the GPS on the dash, only to discover that it showed the boat actually on land......How close were they to a beach that they couldn't see?

The waves were typical Montauk. When they set off down the beach, they had to constantly try to figure how fast for fuel consumption and how fast to win.

To give you an idea that at some point they decided to go for it, when they were approaching the Verrazano Bridge, we left the dock at La Motta's to bring the checkered flag for the finish.

They came all the way into the harbor past Staten Island, up East
River, under the remaining bridges, Throgs Neck, Whitestone.... and we barley made it to the finish line to greet them.

They took on a lot of unknowns and did the best they could with it and proved it can still be done. I think they may have also gained some new idea of why guys like Don Aronow and Sam Griffith are so revered.....to win these open ocean races, you needed to be tough and smart....just like these two guys yesterday. Congrats to them.

When I watched for a bit on the tracking set up I saw that the boats stayed in groups somewhat and maybe I'm mistaken but thought I saw the Monza /Sonic stop or slow and stay together fairly soon after the start.

The natural tendency is to help one another when someone breaks but since this is set up as a race, then I presume that doesnt happen.
What was organized to aid any of the guys that if they broke and were totally dead in the water or were taking on water, to retrieve them if need be ?
Were they out there totally on there own?
Did each have to organize their own rescues if needed?

I see that those that broke got themselves into shore, but what if they couldnt.
Was there provision for help?

fantastixvoyage 09-26-2011 09:14 AM

I hope your questions do not go unanswered, I am sure this is a pretty important one to answer to grow the field.

Catastrophe 09-26-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage (Post 3512272)
I hope your questions do not go unanswered, I am sure this is a pretty important one to answer to grow the field.

Thats why I am asking. The event turned out without incident and now has some legs re enthusiasm.

Maybe next year with good promotion it will be bigger, but it would help get more peeps if there was some retrieval organized.

I thought the tracking set up was great. That helped for sure with people getting to follow the event.

The whole thing is missing the boat though( excuse the pun).

HORBA is a volunteer organization and looks for help or funds to fullfill their goals. Currently there is a project boat that is in need of $$.

If there was no awards dinner and the sole cost is promotion and the tracking system, I dont see why a third party is charging 6k for six boats.

I bet if the start/finish was handled by volunteers and there was an organized HELP system for broken boats AND the funds went to HORBA for ongoing projects, the turnout would be much greater.

But again KUDOS for those that participated.

jvcobra 09-26-2011 10:42 AM

Congrats to the winners and organizers..sounds like OL makes a helluva boat!! Wish I could run in the event someday.

GLH 09-26-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3512294)
Thats why I am asking. The event turned out without incident and now has some legs re enthusiasm.

Maybe next year with good promotion it will be bigger, but it would help get more peeps if there was some retrieval organized.

I thought the tracking set up was great. That helped for sure with people getting to follow the event.

The whole thing is missing the boat though( excuse the pun).

HORBA is a volunteer organization and looks for help or funds to fullfill their goals. Currently there is a project boat that is in need of $$.

If there was no awards dinner and the sole cost is promotion and the tracking system, I dont see why a third party is charging 6k for six boats.

I bet if the start/finish was handled by volunteers and there was an organized HELP system for broken boats AND the funds went to HORBA for ongoing projects, the turnout would be much greater.

But again KUDOS for those that participated.

My guess is it will be hard to make something financially viable with a race of that nature, or any boat races for that (offshore I mean) matter, the pool of consumers is just too small.

All nautical racing exists currently due to the passion of individuals and commitments of entities either willing to fund and racers willing to write a check. I think it has always been like that even in the 60's and 70's.

Congrats to all that put forth the effort.

Keytime 09-26-2011 11:15 AM

Thanks to the organizers and participants for giving us fans an event to enjoy.

flying fish 09-26-2011 11:46 AM

Record Comparsion

Charlie,I wonder if you can clarify the following.

I take the 2011 course was the same as 2010 i.e. 271 statute miles,and with a 3hr 5 min time this is pretty impressive motoring for a mono with,I take it 1420 hp?

The thing I find amazing is the 1989 Hayim record of 3hr 6 min,which if it was on the same course of 271 statute miles,seems again pretty impressive considering it must have been in one of the first skater cats, which for a 32ft skater in 1989 would have averaged circa 85mph in a race (similar to Agitator),let alone a race twice that length,with say 1200hp.

I find no mention of the 1989 course length or engine size in the data you showed when listing all the records.Maybe Mr.Hayim can give a definative answer as well.

Catastrophe 09-26-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 3512384)
My guess is it will be hard to make something financially viable with a race of that nature, or any boat races for that (offshore I mean) matter, the pool of consumers is just too small.

All nautical racing exists currently due to the passion of individuals and commitments of entities either willing to fund and racers willing to write a check. I think it has always been like that even in the 60's and 70's.

Congrats to all that put forth the effort.

I agree with you about the viability comment.

I'm not saying someone is being cheap by not having an awards dinner or some function for participants and viewers. In fact because of the type of event it is , its hardly doable because half the participants are out hunting for where their boat broke down and retrieving it.

My point is, because HORBA is announcing and promoting the event, and because the participants are entering because they are enthused in duplicating the old style racing I think if they had a way of helping people that really needed aid out on the water( water that they have little personal knowledge of ) they may get more entrants.

HORBA serves a function in our hobby and I think its great that they exist. They will always need $$$ to do what they do.

But because the event is what it is and difficult to have a function attached to it and more importantly the people arent even entering to attend a function , I dont see where and why 6k had to go to a third party.

If you give anyone 20% profit, where did $ 3800.00 get spent here, that couldnt have been handled by volunteers?

If this event was promoted solely by a non HORBA entity then you go or not go. If you want someone to make $$ off your effort, so be it, BUT HORBA was involved and HORBA can use the $$$ and I dont think they need anyone in the middle collecting it.

It was a great event with 6 boats. Would be even greater with 20. And it would be fantastic if the entity that is keeping memories alive around here got all the dough.

MikeyFIN 09-26-2011 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jvcobra (Post 3512352)
Congrats to the winners and organizers..sounds like OL makes a helluva boat!! Wish I could run in the event someday.

Sure do... maybe next year we will see some Nortechs and Apaches too not forgettin a load of others!

stainless 09-26-2011 12:17 PM

Congrats to Outerlimits, Ilmor, and both Joe's!!!!
Great work everyone!!