Notices

Fastest Whaler ever?

Old 06-10-2002, 11:16 PM
B.R.S.

Default Fastest Whaler ever?

I spotted this out on Lake St. Clair and had to do a double take!
Attached Thumbnails Fastest Whaler ever?-252.jpg  

Old 06-10-2002, 11:24 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please God tell me that is just the 2.5efi covers so that they are easy to take off. Man if he has a real 2.5efi under that cover I want to slap him.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:12 AM
GeoGraphics INC

If you look at the mid section of that motor you can tell it is not from a 2.5!!!!

Old 06-11-2002, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

SOme friends of mine used to have a 14' ( I think ) Whaler with 2- 100 hp outboards on it . At half throttle they punched it and did a 'wheelie' and flipped it over backwards ! NO more twin powered whalers for them !
Old 06-12-2002, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I had a 13' Whaler when I was a kid. Had a 33hp late 60's Evinrude - ran 32mph. We bolted a 55 hp Evinrude on it and couldn't find a prop with enough pitch but pegged the Airguide speedo (it read 55mph). Was kind of a handfull. The 55hp motor belonged to a friend's dad and he never really gave us permission to use it. He sort of made it clear that we were not welcome to borrow the motor any more.

Shame.
We then had to resort to experimenting with my 33hp on a 9' Jon boat from Sears. Had to put the driver and the tank and the battery in the front. Drove from the very front seat with an extended tiller handle (whaler had cable steering but jonboat did not). Don't really know how fast it was (we used the same whaler prop) but it felt like 200.

We then put the 33 on a 16' Alumacraft square-stern canoe. At speed the center of the canoe lifted but the stern stayed buried in the water (too narrow at the stern). Had to run full negative trim (no power trim, just tilt pins). Put battery and tank and passenger in the nose. Long tiller put driver (me) in the center. We kept pouring on more power but stern kept trying to sink. I decided that we could power thru it and hammered it.

Center of hull rose and the nose stuck way up into the air at 25mph or so. Was extremely "tippy" and sensitive to steering (in a big way). Stern went under and was taking on tons of water. We got excited and knew we could not let off the throttle. We finally established an equilibrium where, at 25 mph or so, the water was self-bailing as fast as it was coming in. The motor cowl was parting the water at the front, but apparently it was getting enough air into it from the rear intake that it kept right on humming.

We ran like this all the way back to my cove and wide open down to behind my house. I chopped the throttle and we slowed and went down sternfirst like a rock. 4 feet of water, though.

Battery seemed a little weak after the submerging but the motor cleaned out fine and ran till I got rid of it a couple of years later.

Ah, Whaler stories...
I sold my old Whaler, but I have another just like it for my kids
(same vintage hull '72, but newer '78 Johnson 30hp).
Old 06-12-2002, 07:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many years ago on a boat trip to Lake Champlain (sp) we spotted a kid in a 13ft Whaler that had a 65 horse Merc on the back. He was flying! I know it was rated for 40 horse max and they were fast with that on it. I can imagine what it like with 65.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have a 13 whaler 50 merc 11 x 18 merc racin clever 58 mph
Old 06-12-2002, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 20ft Zodiac that has a 115 Merc. It is rated for 120. The boat weighs 850lbs and the motor is 300lbs. I have hit 65 before on a small chop. It gets awful loose at that speed so I cruise at 50.