Notices

possible upgrade.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The season is coming to an end and i have a ton of cosmetics to do on the boat and would like to get more power, but im not sure i want to run something as temperamental as a high compression boosted motor sounds like it can be.

It seems as if i would be putting a time bomb together. ??

The boat runs good now but like everyone...
when it aint broke we still wanna go faster.

it sounds as if it might be worth it to lower compression on what i have or look for some long blocks to work with.

Young: would there still be any reliability with packages like this? obviously if dialed in and tuned correctly?

Bill: are they local? i haven't heard of them. have they done work on your stuff. I know u always do it rite.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Like I said, the setup is key. It would be better to lower the compression obviously. I just wanted to point out that it can be done, assuming you have access ot 93 octane fuel. Yes, it can be reliable.
Eddie
Old 09-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
yep also cam, carb drive height all adds up to speed I got 8mph gps by a 2'' shortie and carb change prop was small at that point but Iwent in for surgery came out drive carb steering msd boxes all gone and more Ithink there was another 2 or 3 mph left.
I agree that most of +MPH opportunity is not in the engine compartment. If the X is still as it was set in 1999 with 3-blades. Spend you $ on a re-rig. Big job, but more MPH and less $ that two new engines. If you have #3 or Bravos, neither will likely last in a 38' Cig with big torque.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered

i apprecaite the input... i run 94 octaine in it now.

That was also another concern is that the X dom. is low but i have heard people having mixed reviews on shorties and or boxes on straight bottom guns.

when u say re-rig do u mean filling the transom and raising the drives and motors?

looking at the bullet of the lower in comparrison to the bottom of the boat it seems low... i guess a good first step would be to try some shorties and see how it reacts.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:38 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STRAIGHTPRIORITY
Bill: are they local? i haven't heard of them. have they done work on your stuff. I know u always do it rite.
Yes, In Chesapeake close to Priority Chevy. Did work on my motors after Joey Griffin screwed me. Also has done work for LOTS of local guys. He is good and reasonable pricing.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the comments you have seen on over raising the X are about X's on boats that the X was already set up for 4-blades. They started higher and then went too high. You would have to see where you X-was set in 1999..
It should be pretty easy to find the ideal X for a 38 TG straight bottom that was dialed-in for Bravo 1 4B's. This should be one of the last straight bottom Cig's. If you can't find the answer on OSO, call Phil at Lip-Ship.
The re-rig will include replacing most of the transom, paint/gel, raising the engines, reworking the tail pipes, misc hoses, etc.
Great winter project

Last edited by BenPerfected; 09-26-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered

yeah. phil knows the boat pretty will from what i understand. it would probably be easiest to call him.

I think no matter what route i go motor wise i will look into the x dom. or atleast shorties.

haha.. yea a great winter project. A friend did all u listed in my shop a couple of years ago. actually didn't seem as bad as one would think. but im not sure i want to get into all that.

i was considering the obvious and getting a newer stepped #6 boat but am still a little upside down in mine so im gonna keep workin on mine till i am ready financially.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda what I was thinking... get into a T/S TG and you'll be running faster right out of the box. Like you, I'm afraid my drives are going to be my next weak link. Either way, good luck!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Registered

bravos will always be the weak link on these big heavy boats.

its crazy how much anything to do with drives cost too...
Old 09-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I would certainly think that your boat would benefit from some shorties and props considering it's an older straight bottom gun. I haven't put shorties on that exact boat, but I have never had an older straight bottom boat that didn't go faster with shorties. I did a pair on a 31' Cig Bullet years ago and it picked up 7 mph. That was defintely on the higher end, as most were 2-4 mph gains.
As a side note, if you don't already have full hyd. steering, you'll want to get before adding the shorties.
You may also want to check the bottom to be sure it doesn't have even a slight hook. That can cost you quite a bit of speed. Depending on how much faster you are looking to go, you may be able to find it all in setup alone, as mentioned earlier. Sometime there is a bunch of speed left on the table.
Good luck and let me know if I can help.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.