Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   family and performance boating magazine article (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26302-family-performance-boating-magazine-article.html)

26sonic 06-11-2002 04:54 AM

family and performance boating magazine article

got my july 2002 issue that featured an article of a bolt on hop up kit of 65 hp for a 500efi from a company called "boost power". did any one else read it and could it be possible of such hp gains , wonder if this kit could be used on 454 or 502 efi engines and what gains you would get ?

diveboy 06-11-2002 05:34 PM

BoostPower???

Canada Jeff,

I've called these guys 3 times and left a message, as well as, 2 emails requesting info. on this kit (cost,availity,etc) and have yet to hear from them. How did you get a hold of them?

Jon-

diveboy 06-11-2002 06:02 PM

Just got off the phone with Arizona Speed & Marine, they can offer everything that you get from Boostpower with the exception of the spacers. ASM claims 40-50 horse without using the crossover. The kit runs $1349- a far cry from the $2500-.

Jon-

26sonic 06-11-2002 07:49 PM

diveboy iv'e also tried contacting boost power both by e-mail and phone with no sucess. i'll try giving az speed a call. does there kit also recommend the modifying of the intake plenum where the mono blade goes? what does there kit consist of? would a exhaust change also benefit this kit on a 502efi ?

diveboy 06-11-2002 09:11 PM

26sonic,

It gets frustrating when you want info. on a product which you would probably end up buying when you can't even get the co. to return a stinken phone call! Arizona Speed and Marine's kit comes with MSD (blue) ignition box, reprograming of your ECU, New flame arrestor (they claim a 30% better flow rate than stock), and their new mono blade. Yes, you still must modify the intake plenum just like they detaioled in Family & Performance Boating. I'm not sure about an exhaust upgrade or the benefits there of. I would imagine it all depends on what you're currently running. I'm using CMI headers which I'm very happy with, don't really se a need to upgrade here for me.

What are your thoughts on running a crossover?

Diveboy

26sonic 06-12-2002 12:36 AM

diveboy there is a thread on the cross over subject in the "technical q+a section " on this site . personally after reading what others said i'm going to pass on this. on the az kit discussion , do you think with the hp gain you'll have to re- prop ?

502SCS 06-04-2007 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 26sonic (Post 300563)
diveboy iv'e also tried contacting boost power both by e-mail and phone with no sucess. i'll try giving az speed a call. does there kit also recommend the modifying of the intake plenum where the mono blade goes? what does there kit consist of? would a exhaust change also benefit this kit on a 502efi ?

Funny I read this message from 2002 about them after just getting rudely blown off by them today ... 5 years later ..A trend or just bad mood mondays around there?
If your not waving 20k in the air it is tough to get any courteous helpfull info out of boat part dealers/manufacturers :rolleyes:

boostpower 02-01-2009 12:47 PM

Sorry Folks-we Discontinued The Kit As The 525 Came About. We Have Some Of The Phenolic Spacers On The Shelf And The Other Parts Are Available First Come First Serve. It Works Great As That Motor Runs Pretty Rich From The Factory--we Simply Lean The Mixture In Certain Areas, Space The Plennum Up-ad A Larger Tbi-and Increase The Spark And Timing Curve. It Makes Most Of Its Gain With The Expantion Of The Rpm Range To 6k. Thanks