Notices

Magic vs. Nordic?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Magic vs. Nordic?

Of course the preface, please no pissing contest. I actually love both of these boats, I just need some help learning!

I've been looking for a Nordic Heat MCOB for quite a while but there's a few things I'm not crazy about with them.

I noticed that the Magic Wizard MCOB really hit all my needs on the head.

Besides the obvious things you can see in pictures, what do I need to know about these two? How do they ride and perform differently? Any build quality issues with either?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 2,832 Likes on 951 Posts

One big difference is that Magics aren't built any more.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

What type of waters are you going to use it in? Never been in a Magic so I have no feedback on it. What year Nordic?

I can say this, having owned one and run it on Long Island Sound for three years it's not an offshore hull. It's 22 degrees with a small pad and rides like it when it gets rough out. Definitely a lake boat. That doesn't mean I couldn't run it on LIS for 3 years, I did and had a blast, and it was fine most of the time, but you feel the chop compared to a hull with 24 degrees transom deadrise and a sharper entry.

Build quality is high with great tooling, strange side saddle fuel tanks though (at least my version was) which I never liked for rough water boating, they carpet the engine compartment with is idiotic IMO, I ripped it out and installed diamond plate. Poor wind protection, good looks though. Drives are (were) mounted too high, many put spacers in. Middle of the road performance, mid-60s with 496HO. Still many outdated gel graphic designs. I could go on and on but not sure what you're looking for.

Last edited by Indy; 09-23-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll be looking at used, so new production is not important.

I'll be using it on Lake Travis. While not an ocean, it does get some pretty awful water from wind and heavy cruiser traffic.

I'm also looking at Sunsation, how do they fit in to the mix?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be a little biased torwards a Sunsation.........having owned one since 1994, but I can tell you that their boats and customer service are world class! Their old 24' and 25' (24 foot boats with 7 foot beam, no longer made) don't show the true Sunsation , so make sure that you don't judge based on looking at one of those.

With all of that said I have looked at and would consider a Nordic, but the price would have to be really right, for me to consider leaving the Sunsation family.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

More room in the cockpit and cabin in the Nordic than the Sunny, however it does have sharper hull angles than the Nordic. I wouldn't worry about Travis, the Nordic would be fine there. The occasional big wake and wind slop wouldn't give me pause. My comments were more from the perspective from going longer distances in consistent chop with the occasional big hole. As a comparison I've ridden in some same sized Panteras in the same waters and the ride is much better, not as sharp on the workmanship though, but no question it's a far superior "offshore" type boat better suited for my waters.

One other thing since I brought up the Pantera, the Pantera has a nice flat sun pad whereas the Nordic's is sloped and smaller. Much harder to hang out on if that's in your bag. It got uncomfortable hanging on the Nordic's pad for any length of time. I think the Sunny is close to the Nordic's since they are both swim platform boats whereas the Pantera is all hull with a bolt-on. No freeboard on the Pantera, strange for an offshore style boat, I always thought the 28 Pantera would be much better as a sit-down boat.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Nordic and Sunsation is a decent comparison, but I would go Sunsation because it is a deeper Vee. I'm not familiar with lake Travis, so not sure if you need that extra 2 degrees. I live right by "Indy" and my 24 degree 28 Active Thunder blew away my brothers 22 degree 29 Fountain in anothing over a foot and a half chop, which is the usual on a weekend. Bottom line that 2 degrees is very noticeable around here.

The Sunny cockpit is a bit tight, but not sure how it compares to the Nordic. Indy says the Nordic is bigger so i'll go with that. I think you may find more Sunsations for sale as well.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, Nordic 28 Heat Open Bow is the best all-around lake boat -- but as you know...I'm highly biased. I went offshore with it 3x when in SoCal, and as I expected (had no false expectations), I would not have a 28' Nordic if most of my fun was to be had in the Big Blue.

Magics are pretty nice. If I bought one, it would be the 28 deck boat, or the 34' cat (I believe is (was) a Sceptor?).

If I were to buy something new-to-me today, bigger than a 28' but under 38', and budget were a consideration...it would most definitely be a tough decision between a newer 32' Sunsation MCOB, with twin 525's, or a newer 35' Nordic Flame MCOB with 525's.

If budget (and insurance cost) not a consideration, and in same length range, would be brand new version of the above, with 575's, or the new Nordic 34' cat, or possibly the new (36?) Howard V.

I2D
Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
Bottom line that 2 degrees is very noticeable around here.
Glad...you got that right. The Nordic was great in the dog days of August when the Sound resembles a sheet of glass, but for the balance of the boating season when it's tooth rattling time it wasn't the best ride. And yes...your AT is a great option if he's concerned about chop, true 24 and it has freeboard.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Glad...you got that right. The Nordic was great in the dog days of August when the Sound resembles a sheet of glass, but for the balance of the boating season when it's tooth rattling time it wasn't the best ride. And yes...your AT is a great option if he's concerned about chop, true 24 and it has freeboard.
Thansks for the plug!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.