Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Can you achieve greater speed / horsepower with real gas? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/263151-can-you-achieve-greater-speed-horsepower-real-gas.html)

SWW17 09-28-2011 12:40 PM

Can you achieve greater speed / horsepower with real gas?

I am sure this has probably been answered somewhere before. But, if your fuel pump and injectors can only flow X amount of volume at full throttle, will a boat go faster using real gas of the same octane vs. fuel that has ethanol?

Along with all of the other ethanol related documented issues, I have read that real gas has more usable energy per volume than ethanol. So is thinking correct that at max. capable fuel flow that you will get more performance out of your boat with real gas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hematite 09-28-2011 01:01 PM

Since the fuel usage with 10% Ethanol is 20% (approx.) higher than with plain gas, I would have to agree with your idea that the power output is lower.

Since the 10% Ethanol gas is not mandated in all States for Marine use, I'll never understand why boat clubs, at least, don't insist on receiving non Ethanol fuel for their members.

t500hps 09-28-2011 01:02 PM

Technically yes, the engine will make more power. If it's 1-2 mph I would be surprised.

SWW17 09-28-2011 01:26 PM

Wow, can 20% greater volume of fuel burn for ethanol actually be possible? If so, it would really pay to look high and low for real gas at all costs.

If that approximation was close, it would seem that it would really cut down on performance and fuel range.

triple 300s 09-28-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hematite (Post 3514633)
I'll never understand why boat clubs, at least, don't insist on receiving non Ethanol fuel for their members.

I'm sure some of the skater guys agree!

THEJOKER 09-28-2011 01:36 PM

I've never run ethanol in my boat. If you travel with your boat plan ahead and I think you can always find non ethanol fuel.

bmtbandit 09-28-2011 01:37 PM

Yes I would estimate 20% seems accurate. Last year Allegheny County, PA mandated 10% in marine fuel and efficiency has dropped off a lot.

E Colby 09-28-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by triple 300s (Post 3514667)
I'm sure some of the skater guys agree!

I'm sure other people have this question. Does using a product like Star-Tron or buying gas with a Valvtect additive keep the ethanol from causing problems in boats with fiberglass fuel tanks? I'm looking at a boat that might have a glass tank.

t500hps 09-28-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by THEJOKER (Post 3514669)
I've never run ethanol in my boat. If you travel with your boat plan ahead and I think you can always find non ethanol fuel.

If you can find non "E" fuel in central VA would you PLEASE let me know where!!!!! I called a local distributor and they don't know of any.

Boomer35 09-28-2011 02:33 PM

would you rather run 93 octane with ethynol or 89 non ethynol?