Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

Notices

Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

Old 10-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
While your at it call the NFL and convince them to go back to leather helmets.
I knew Rich's commentary would ruffle a few feathers. So be it. I would publish it again—and again—because it makes many, many great points.

Rich and I diverge in that he would do away with closed-course near-shore offshore racing and I—as I said in an earlier post—would love to see a series that has both types of events. Publishing opinions clearly labeled as "commentary" that differ from yours is part of a publisher's "equal time" responsibility that needs to exist on any op-ed/commentary page.

So if you'd care to submit a commentary to speedonthewater.com that offers a different view, I'd be delighted to publish it.

But take a look at the page views and post counts in this thread, and then compare them to any thread on an offshore race this season that isn't simply a photo gallery (and power to all the photographers providing this service, gratis). Clearly, something about the Around Long Island event captured the imagination of the average performance-boat owner. Not everyone who read or responded is a dinosaur.

Yes, endurance racing is an old format. But simply dismissing it for that reason is silly.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 10-04-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
He, he. Nice to dream about Charlie. It would be really tough for me to match the Gentry time that Brownie pointed out with my current equipment. May be time for an upgrade soon. Looks like that is about 68.8 MPH for the MIA - NYC run.
I have been intrigued for some time now about doing a run from Key West to New Orleans almost 800 miles up the middle of the Gulf. Don't think that has ever been done so has some appeal. That would need to be a summer time run so maybe next summer. We will see.
Sweet idea. Start the run with margaritas and end the run with hurricanes.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I knew Rich's commentary would ruffle a few feathers. So be it. I would publish it again—and again—because it makes many, many great points.

Rich and I diverge in that he would do away with closed-course near-shore offshore racing and I—as I said in an earlier post—would love to see a series that has both types of events. Publishing opinions clearly labeled as "commentary" that differ from yours is part of a publisher's "equal time" responsibility that needs to exist on any op-ed/commentary page.

So if you'd care to submit a commentary to speedonthewater.com that offers a different view, I'd be delighted to publish it.

But take a look at the page views and post counts in this thread, and then compare them to any thread on an offshore race this season that isn't simply a photo gallery (and power to all the photographers providing this service, gratis). Clearly, something about the Around Long Island event captured the imagination of the average performance-boat owner. Not everyone who read or responded is a dinosaur.

Yes, endurance racing is an old format. But simply dismissing it for that reason is silly.

I agree with you Matt and good commentary deserves rebuttal. Using your logic then...dismissing the fastest offshore boats of this decade just because they have turbines is just as silly. So we both agree that our good friend Col. Von Shwartzpickle is silly. Smart, handsome, witty, ornery ..but silly. He's writing with his emotional connection to a great era of our sport.

One off endurance runs are fun to watch for us die hard offshore guys. But 2000+ spectator boats a pier spilling over with fans and a absolutely packed beach in Clearwater this weekend is a clear indicator of reality and what people want from our sport right now. Like it or not

If you guys can't get enough of the old days than you don't want to miss the OFF event later this month. Come meet the guys that really did this stuff!

As for endurance racing now....this subject will all get settled at the bar in Jupiter in two weeks when the Old Farts Forever convene for their yearly "Endurance" race to the restroom. ...

Last edited by MissGeicoRacing; 10-04-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,645 Likes on 3,773 Posts

How about a two day event, First day endurance=offshore. 2nd day close curcuit by the spectators!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete B
How about a two day event, First day endurance=offshore. 2nd day close curcuit by the spectators!

Don't they already do that in Sunny Isles every year????
Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

A few more racing classes are needed and maybe a few more sanctioning bodies . Yeah , that'll work .
Who's next ? Me . My sanctioning body ? Fazool Offshore Racing League ( FORL ) for boats that are not too old but not too new and between 12 and 110 feet LOA . Yeah that'll work .
You want endurance ? I'll have a race from NY to Great Britain . Yeah , that'll work .
Too many minds , too many different directions . No frickin money .
That's offshore racing . A big Fazool .

Last edited by aex; 10-04-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
I agree with you Matt and good commentary deserves rebuttal. Using your logic then...dismissing the fastest offshore boats of this decade just because they have turbines is just as silly. So we both agree that our good friend Col. Von Shwartzpickle is silly. Smart, handsome, witty, ornery ..but silly. He's writing with his emotional connection to a great era of our sport.

One off endurance runs are fun to watch for us die hard offshore guys. But 2000+ spectator boats a pier spilling over with fans and a absolutely packed beach in Clearwater this weekend is a clear indicator of reality and what people want from our sport right now. Like it or not

If you guys can't get enough of the old days than you don't want to miss the OFF event later this month. Come meet the guys that really did this stuff!

As for endurance racing now....this subject will all get settled at the bar in Jupiter in two weeks when the Old Farts Forever convene for their yearly "Endurance" race to the restroom. ...
And Solomons was packed as well, hence my logic for suggesting a hybrid series of near-shore closed course and endurance events.

I don't dismiss turbines. Rich does. There we diverge. But I do think it is unfortunate that no one else has ever really showed up in any kind of long-term, significant way in your class. Lots of "silly season" talk and promises, but it really never materialized. I know you guys would much rather compete than put on a show.

I would love, flat out love to see what Miss Geico could do to the endurance records, although I suspect refueling might be a teensy bit of an issue. Still ... why not? Your equipment certainly can last (minus the odd broken sponson or two, of course).

As for the rebuttal, I mean something that defends closed-course near-shore racing, I look forward to receiving it and publishing it on speedonthewater.com.

Ah, the joys of WiFi at 30,000 feet.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 10-04-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete B
That sounds like the old Powerboat P1 in Europe!!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
And Solomons was packed as well, hence my logic for suggesting a hybrid series of near-shore closed course and endurance events.

I don't dismiss turbines. Rich does. There we diverge. But I do think it is unfortunate that no one else has ever really showed up in any kind of long-term, significant way in your class. Lots of "silly season" talk and promises, but it really never materialized. I know you guys would much rather compete than put on a show.

I would love, flat out love to see what Miss Geico could do to the endurance records, although I suspect refueling might be a teensy bit of an issue. Still ... why not? Your equipment certainly can last (minus the odd broken sponson or two, of course).

As for the rebuttal, I mean something that defends closed-course near-shore racing, I look forward to receiving it and publishing it on speedonthewater.com.

Ah, the joys of WiFi at 30,000 feet.
Are you traveling in your private jet again or on a date with Paris Hilton in hers ?

I'll let Odell Lewis handle Von Picklfork on the turbine issue . As for fans...outside of Miami almost every venue we race at has great attendence nowadays.

Refueling is easy..Safety and cost are the big equalizer for super fast record attempts.(on our part)

We had our hands full this weekend with Cintron if you were there ..you would know...great race and they won. missed it..hit you tube... But, yes we would rather it be consistant piston or turbine....little secret.. the fans don't care they saw great racing action on a sunny day and they'll be back next year. but this isn't about us .

Here's my prediction...shorter closed course racing...fast acceleration of large cats. 40-50

I'll take you up on your offer as long as you agree to proof it for spelling and punctuation errors. (I'm not as smart as I think I am)
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

As a fan I'd support long offshore of close in short course if either had less classes and more entries per class.
A couple big turbine cats put on nice one two finishes in a two boat class.
Does anyone think NASCAR or IRL or NHRA could continue with only two or three entrants in a class per race ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.