Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

Notices

Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
A few more racing classes are needed and maybe a few more sanctioning bodies . Yeah , that'll work .
Who's next ? Me . My sanctioning body ? Fazool Offshore Racing League ( FORL ) for boats that are not too old but not too new and between 12 and 110 feet LOA . Yeah that'll work .
You want endurance ? I'll have a race from NY to Great Britain . Yeah , that'll work .
Too many minds , too many different directions . No frickin money .
That's offshore racing . A big Fazool .
With all due respect ... no one suggested that. Reread what was written. What has been suggested is either all endurance or a hybrid of endurance and near-shore closed course.

There are never "too many minds." There are often too many agendas.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
Are you traveling in your private jet again or on a date with Paris Hilton in hers ?

I'll let Odell Lewis handle Von Picklfork on the turbine issue . As for fans...outside of Miami almost every venue we race at has great attendence nowadays.

Refueling is easy..Safety and cost are the big equalizer for super fast record attempts.(on our part)

We had our hands full this weekend with Cintron if you were there ..you would know...great race and they won. missed it..hit you tube... But, yes we would rather it be consistant piston or turbine....little secret.. the fans don't care they saw great racing action on a sunny day and they'll be back next year. but this isn't about us .

Here's my prediction...shorter closed course racing...fast acceleration of large cats. 40-50

I'll take you up on your offer as long as you agree to proof it for spelling and punctuation errors. (I'm not as smart as I think I am)
Ok pal get your panties out of a twist....If you had set around like I did as a punk kid in the shadows you could have learned a lot as I did from all these old guys and the funny thing is half of them dont even remember me but I remembered everything that I absorbed.....turbines as you say have a great place in racing and that technology is here to stay is it the big show who knows or do I care to debate it?? ABSOLUTELY NOT because I dont give a damn...how many turbine boats actually race at one time these days?? I am a roughwater guy at heart and have banged enough waves to know that is where it is for me however todays racing is not like days gone by!!! Dont crucify me too bad for my punctuation as it sux and I know it sux!!!!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 AM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
With all due respect ... no one suggested that. Reread what was written. What has been suggested is either all endurance or a hybrid of endurance and near-shore closed course.

There are never "too many minds." There are often too many agendas.
I was just trying to get a laugh from you guys and inserting some of the opinions I've heard voiced over the years .
Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
Opinions are like a holes everybody has one!Easy to judge race orgs of todayBut try putting an event on and make it work then people will listen!!Back in the day back in the day ???Muscle car guys famous last words till a modern car blows them off the trackI think OPA&others are on the right trackIf you want to get beat up in the ocean for 100 miles be my guest but I won't be watching or attempting it!This year weather and events conflcting dates did not help still a good boat count!Leave back in the day back in the day!Peace out
Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Opinions are like a holes everybody has one!Easy to judge race orgs of todayBut try putting an event on and make it work then people will listen!!Back in the day back in the day ???Muscle car guys famous last words till a modern car blows them off the trackI think OPA&others are on the right trackIf you want to get beat up in the ocean for 100 miles be my guest but I won't be watching or attempting it!This year weather and events conflcting dates did not help still a good boat count!Leave back in the day back in the day!Peace out
OK, let's take a look at car racing. The first issue is that the track does not change (for the most part). Whether it's drag, stock, or open wheel, the basics of the track stay the same. This leaves more room to focus on the vehicle. The only reason the muscle car guy gets blown away by the modern car is because the critical variable of the track did not change. Same asphalt, same turns, no bumps. The cars have been adapted to the tracks.

"Offshore" racing pits men against the elements. The big equalizer has always been the ocean. Not a gps telling you that you have gone 1 mph over some pre-determined speed limit. Some days will be flat and some days will be rough. On the flat days the boats that have a top speed advantage and crews with superior navigation skills will win. On the rough days they won't. That's the fun of the whole thing. It isn't just about beating the hell out of yourself in 6 foot seas (although that is a lot of fun).

For me (and I will get crucified for this), it's a language issue. The moniker "Offshore Racing" should be reserved for offshore racing. Calling the racing that took place last weekend "offshore" racing is an insult to the history of the sport. Was it good racing? Yes. Was it exciting? Yes. Was it offshore racing? Definitely not.

Just my two cents. Now you can crucify me.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

OK lets go 50 miles out you pay for the cruise ship so people can watchp:
If this is just about being watched, then leave the boat on the trailer and charge admission to a viewing area. Once again, that's not what offshore racing is. It has never been and will never be a major spectator sport.

I never heard a single complaint from spectators of the offshore racing in the 80's. The staggered starts had boats going by the spectator fleet at very regular intervals.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

OK lets go 50 miles out you pay for the cruise ship so people can watchp:
Back in the day you didn't have to be on a cruise ship because the race was televised. Offshore racing was relevant then. Funny how the new generation doesn't want to listen to the old even though they were the ones successful. Driving 50ft boats on rivers and bays is not offshore racing. Just look at the interest and discussion the long island race has created and tell me offshore racing doesn't need re-think its direction.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

So when GEICO shows up with their caravan of trucks and boats what is their business plan ?
Racing or selling car insurance to the spectators ?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
So when GEICO shows up with their caravan of trucks and boats what is their business plan ?
Racing or selling car insurance to the spectators ?
My guess would be that Marc and Scotty and crew go to race and Geico puts there name on it to sell insurance. But what does that have to do with anything?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
My guess would be that Marc and Scotty and crew go to race and Geico puts there name on it to sell insurance. But what does that have to do with anything?
What I'm saying is I doubt GEICO would be involved as a sponsor if racing returned to the old school offshore type events.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.