Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing >

Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

Notices

Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

Old 10-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
Yes Roger and Bob Magoon raced the 40 Cigarette "CAM II" and won the Benihanna Grand Prix, I think 1976.
My friends and I always said when the break off from APBA occured, it set the sport back 10 years. Now we say another 10.

Fast Shafts,

Yes, it was 1976 when Roger won the Benihanna GP.
I had my Magnum Sport "Sea Wraith" tied off across the dock next to Roger's Hatteras Motor Yachth. Like all of Roger's things it was in pristine condiction. he talked to us before he got on board to watch some TV.

Yes, Eika Batista is ranked up there with some of the richest folks in the world,, think around #8 or so , he was on 60 Minutes a couple of months back talking about the economy of Brazil as it is the new emerging economies in the world.
thank you
jim

Last edited by dammmagnum; 10-07-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
All of the above makes sense to one degree or another with the exception that none of the "new breed " advocates are addressing the simple fact that large offshore cats and vees are not designed for closed course circle racing. While Chuck's point is well taken that Indy cars compete on short, long, road and circle tracks, they do not enter the Baja 1000...nor should they. Hydros, racing runabouts, tunnel boats and smaller OPC vees are designed specifically for spectator friendly circle racing...... Offshore hulls are simply out of their element on these layouts especially when rough water conditions are also removed from the formula ( Remember the ridiculous barrel rolls when the big cats raced on Detroit's Gold Cup circuit or, for that matter, at St Clair and half the other "tight" courses nationwide?).

Also while Geico's slightly tin eared lead singer/bass player has made a plea in favor of turbines, the lack of noise coupled with shameless fuel gulping and need for copious amounts of unobtanium hardware really do make a case to remove these monsters from the long distance/endurance fray in favor of the "Wowee!" exhibition runs that seem to serve their promotional purposes. To this day many of the Unlimited Hydro division's staunchest fans and competitors rue the day Bernie Little, et al dragged in a bunch of turbines and killed the ground pounding, piston powered "thunder boats".

To Mike A's well tabulated and legally researched opinions regarding the "business model" , I believe we can all agree that until you have a real sport with valid reasons for interest and fan support, any time spent on revenue generation models is both wasted and premature. Certainly we do not have those favorable circumstances currently in any Offshore racing group.

T2x
Sorry, Rich, but your ”Baja 1000” analogy simply doesn’t hold. Indy Cars can’t run the Baja 1000 for obvious reasons of setup and terrain. But are you honestly suggesting a Super Cat, Super V, Super V Light couldn’t complete an offshore endurance event? Come on, a stock 38-foot Sonic won the Around Long Island title last year—and won it in style.

I also have to respectfully disagree with you on your assertion about “offshore hulls” being out of their element on near-shore closed-course circuits. If a boat rolls in a turn, you don’t blame the boat, no matter how big it is or how tight the turn was. The overwhelming majority of offshore race boats, in fact, get through the turns without rolling. That’s a fact.

I have witnessed excellent near-shore closed course “offshore racing” action during the years across several classes from Super V Light to Super Cat. Without question, the compelling nature of those races was directly proportional to the number of boats in each class. While it only takes two boats to race, my feeling is it takes four for a worthwhile class. Otherwise, everyone gets to the podium.

Last but not least, while I can see lots of reasons why you might not like turbines in offshore racing, are you seriously attacking them for “shameless fuel gulping?” A Mercury Racing 1350 at wide-open throttle showed a burn rate of 200 gallons per hour per engine during a Powerboat magazine test I was part of. Joe Cibellis averaged 1 mile per gallon during his record-setting round Long Island run with Joe Sgro in a 43’ Outerlimits with 725-hp Ilmors.

My point? When it comes to fuel consumption in the high-performance boat world, it’s pretty much all shameless. And the general public will never accept any of it as efficient or economical.

So going back to my original point, which Chuck also seems to support, I think a hybrid offshore racing series with a mix of “courses” is doable and compelling. I think one or the other is problematic.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:08 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thursday November 10th at 4 P.M. EST. Race 1 of the Amsoil/OPA Offshore race series will air on VERSUS/NBC Sports.

Race 1was the 4th Annual Sunny Isles Beach Offshore Challenge which will cover the Miami Bimini Race and the OPA Offshore Race.

Remember last year was televised and next year will be as well.

Unless I missed something in this thread, we have been doing what has been suggested for four years now. I have already permitted Miami/Key West and Miami New York.

But it just seems that not many actual boat owners are ready and willing to take on this type of open ocean challenge

Brad
Old 10-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Sorry, Rich, but your ”Baja 1000” analogy simply doesn’t hold. Indy Cars can’t run the Baja 1000 for obvious reasons of setup and terrain. .
I can set up an indy car to run baja. Give me about 150 grand a car, it may not be as competitive as a trophy truck, but it wont be a calss 11 slug either.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even back in the glory days of the 70's and 80's there were "offshore" powerboat races held in sounds,bays,lakes,and rivers.Growing up with an interest in the sport,I remember races in Long Island Sound, Plymouth Bay,Barnegat Bay,The Great South Bay,The Chesapeake Bay,Lake St Clair,The Toms River etc..I certainly prefer ocean races in rougher conditions,but understand why there have been races held in venues with calm water conditions.I think moving forward,one sanctioning body with a circut of national and regional races in a variety of water conditions is the best format for our sport.Lets all work together to make that happen.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:06 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
Thursday November 10th at 4 P.M. EST. Race 1 of the Amsoil/OPA Offshore race series will air on VERSUS/NBC Sports.

Race 1was the 4th Annual Sunny Isles Beach Offshore Challenge which will cover the Miami Bimini Race and the OPA Offshore Race.

Remember last year was televised and next year will be as well.

Unless I missed something in this thread, we have been doing what has been suggested for four years now. I have already permitted Miami/Key West and Miami New York.

But it just seems that not many actual boat owners are ready and willing to take on this type of open ocean challenge

Brad
You da man Brad
Old 10-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

too many classes guys...thats the problem

lots of good race sights with great fan " turn out"

just too many classes

Last edited by byrideroffshore; 10-09-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy1
Even back in the glory days of the 70's and 80's there were "offshore" powerboat races held in sounds,bays,lakes,and rivers.Growing up with an interest in the sport,I remember races in Long Island Sound, Plymouth Bay,Barnegat Bay,The Great South Bay,The Chesapeake Bay,Lake St Clair,The Toms River etc..I certainly prefer ocean races in rougher conditions,but understand why there have been races held in venues with calm water conditions.I think moving forward,one sanctioning body with a circut of national and regional races in a variety of water conditions is the best format for our sport.Lets all work together to make that happen.
Yes, most of those races were regional races and not National APBA races back then.
There is a place for both , if some one would just had the vision to put them both together.
nothing wrong with racing up and down along the shore line, just put a offshore open water leg in it for about 8-10 miles
get the best of both worlds

Thnk you
Jim
Old 10-10-2011, 08:08 AM
British member!
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bcschoe

Brad
I understand it isn't much help to you guys but we do in the UK - we race the Cowes to Torquay and back every year and next June we are racing around Britain again (1700 nautical miles www.rb12.com) and in 2013 we will be racing from Cowes (Isle of Wight England) to Monte Carlo (2,400 nautical Miles), we also have another four or five National events per season which include all of the Offshore classes.

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Sorry, Rich, but your ”Baja 1000” analogy simply dozen’t hold. Indy Cars can’t run the Baja 1000 for obvious reasons of setup and terrain. But are you honestly suggesting a Super Cat, Super V, Super V Light could’t complete an offshore endurance event? Come on, a stock 38-foot Sonic won the Around Long Island title last year—and won it in style.

I also have to respectfully disagree with you on your assertion about “offshore hulls” being out of their element on near-shore closed-course circuits. If a boat rolls in a turn, you don’t blame the boat, no matter how big it is or how tight the turn was. The overwhelming majority of offshore race boats, in fact, get through the turns without rolling. That’s a fact.

I have witnessed excellent near-shore closed course “offshore racing” action during the years across several classes from Super V Light to Super Cat. Without question, the compelling nature of those races was directly proportional to the number of boats in each class. While it only takes two boats to race, my feeling is it takes four for a worthwhile class. Otherwise, everyone gets to the podium.

Last but not least, while I can see lots of reasons why you might not like turbines in offshore racing, are you seriously attacking them for “shameless fuel gulping?” A Mercury Racing 1350 at wide-open throttle showed a burn rate of 200 gallons per hour per engine during a Powerboat magazine test I was part of. Joe Cibellis averaged 1 mile per gallon during his record-setting round Long Island run with Joe Sgro in a 43’ Outerlimits with 725-hp Ilmors.

My point? When it comes to fuel consumption in the high-performance boat world, it’s pretty much all shameless. And the general public will never accept any of it as efficient or economical.

So going back to my original point, which Chuck also seems to support, I think a hybrid offshore racing series with a mix of “courses” is doable and compelling. I think one or the other is problematic.
Thank you Matt , the hypocrisy of the some of the old salts writing is almost laughable. It's like listening to Obama sell his new jobs program. None of it holds water. Offshore hulls out of their element, Racers "just different".. not like the old days, Water bigger back then, burning too much fuel.(btw-we burn 220 gals an event total)....How much did the old salts burn on a 500 Mile event with big inefficient motors???

It's not this era vs the past..who cares.. it's the card this generation was dealt. Don't forget, this generation has it's life on the line as well.

My patience with stubborn closed minded thinking has worn thin. Like crabby old grandmas complaining. The authors should take a que from the likes of Jim Houser and Odel Lewis and embrace the direction of the sport, mentor the new breed and hope that some of them see the inspiration,knowledge and important lessons that they could offer to the future racers. Those new guys could in turn help promote the co-mingling of the two eras. Suggestions of inferiority about the new generaton by the past decades of racers should be reserved to the bar where it can get the attention it deserves at the level appropriate....and then forgotten until the following year.

Now...where could we find some new guys with that type of wisdom and insight........

If you think this thread was interesting to read than get to OFF next weekend where you can be a part of the conversation FOR REAL. The stories are fantastic (every year they get better).

Next WEEKEND

OFF is a gathering of boat racers from generations past and present. Cool boats and great camaraderie

Thursday October 20th
5:30PM Evening Party at
Dive Bar Restaurant
Riverwalk Plaza
318 South U.S. Hwy 1
Jupiter, FL 33457
Phone (561)747-4767
http://www.divebarrestaurant.com/

Friday October 21st
2:30PM-4:30PM Afternoon Open House
Geico Race Shop
7555 Garden Road, Bldg A
Rivera Beach, FL 33404
http://www.missgeicoracing.com/

5:30PM Evening Party
Wylder’s Waterfront Bar & Grill
Jupiter Pointe Marina
18745 SE Federal Hwy
Jupiter, FL 33469
Phone (561)744-7400
http://www.floridabeachbar.com/bars/wylders.asp

Saturday October 22nd
9:00AM-4:00PM “Run What You Brung”
Cadillac’s Place “BYBLOS”, Standard wet-pit rules apply
8625 SW Kanner Hwy
Indiantown, FL 34956
Phone (772)285-2266
[email protected]

5:30PM Evening Party
Sugarcane Bistro
353 N U.S. Hwy One
Jupiter, FL 33477
Phone (561)743-4177
http://www.sugarcaneislandbistro.com/

Last edited by MissGeicoRacing; 10-11-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.