Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing >

Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

Notices

Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Default Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

The latest contribution to speedonthewater.com by Rich Luhrs. Outside the box thinking, http://speedonthewater.com/commentar...re-racing.html.

Whether or not you agree with Rich's perspective, you cannot deny the reason, logic and intellect behind it.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 09-29-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

How can you not agree with him?

Rich is right you need the persona, image, and walk before you run. Can this be a re-birth? I hope so, if I could afford to race again, it would not be the "offshore" that is run today.

I rather try and set records running alone then race in the river with a 40' boat, that's why I went to see Bermuda leave the dock, it's the adventure not bringing home a trophy because your one of 2 boats in your class.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
How can you not agree with him?

Rich is right you need the persona, image, and walk before you run. Can this be a re-birth? I hope so, if I could afford to race again, it would not be the "offshore" that is run today.

I rather try and set records running alone then race in the river with a 40' boat, that's why I went to see Bermuda leave the dock, it's the adventure not bringing home a trophy because your one of 2 boats in your class.
Well, I think it's fair to say, with all due respect to the racers and organizers who put their hearts and souls and wallets into, that the model we have now isn't working—at least if growth is part of your definition of working.

I have been a supporter of near-shore, closed-circuit racing and I still am because it brings the action closer to the on-site fans. Unfortunately, since a paid gate is pretty much out of the question, that hasn't counted for a whole lot. Rich and I have differed in our viewpoints on the subject, though I freely admit his is far more informed than mine, but this commentary really made me think. I think he's onto something.

But here's another thought: Why not a combination of closed-course and endurance races during an organization's season?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like his commentary also and IMHO it is spot on....but I am disappointed...I thought it would be longer.

:-)
Old 09-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Juice it Up!!!!!

I know a lot of boaters really got into the Factory series races that seemed to be the turning corner that got us to where the sport seems to be today. The factory classes were a way to get the average performance boaters into the racing as fans and participants, but it really tended to 'water down" the excitement of the sport and probably benfited the builders more than the boaters. I agree here, the excittement generated by the latest "offshore" challanges really shows that the sport needs a new and different type of "excitement" to re-ignite the sport of performance boat offshore racing!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Matt,

I was there when OPT formed and there was a "manufacturers V" class to which we committed to. I always thought that and later the single and twin engine manufacturers classes were a good thing for both boat and engine builders and yes should be part of an overall racing package.

I will say, GPS or bracket racing is killing the sport, it is like kids sports where everyone gets a trophy, kids have to learn only winners get trophies and if you want one you need to step it up or find something else you excell in to get your trophy.

You say you were "for" closed circuit offshore racing, from a spectator sandpoint even a 6 mile course is far to large for people to see the whole event. I think the reason the littler circle boats (APBA type) draw some good support is people can watch the whole event at one time similar to most motorsports - you see the whole track and cars past by often enough that you can see most of what is taking place.

When people mention taking the corners tight or side by side racing action, 2 or 3 big offshore boats just can't be swapping paint like a JS or cracker box, those guys race like modifies on a dirt track. So, I think the big boats on the little courses loose some of their value as the monster wave crushers?

Some of what I think Rich is suggesting is "when legend becomes fact, print the legend". Don Aronow was a maverick in a different time and place then today. Most likely in today's world he would be out done by some of today's builders, BUT he was a character, bigger than life like Rich says the Marlboro man! Much like NASCAR has it's bigger than life drivers, I think "Offshore" needs those again also.

In closing I read into what Rich wrote as: 1st you need to write a script for a Oscar winning movie about offshore racing then create, not find but create those characters and racing scenes in real life to make that movie, if you do that Offshore racing can be a viable entity.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Joe,

Let's be clear on the terms. GPS bracket racing, as you know, is a form of closed-course racing offshore racing. Not all closed-course offshore racing is GPS bracket racing. Not all classes in all the organizations race in speed-defined brackets.

You're absolutely right ... spectators cannot see "the whole event' on a six-mile course. Yet that doesn't stop the fans the on-site fans from enjoying the action as the boats roar by in venues such as St. Clair and Key West. If you're talking about being able to follow the action throughout the race, that's tough to do even from a helicopter. I've triedv a few times and, quite honestly, you still have to find out what really happened after you land. Much of that has to do with the number of classes, but that's another discussion.

I don't recall the year, I believe it was 1991 or 1992, but the APBA Offshore Worlds in Key West had a spectacular fleet. If memory serves, close to 100 boats registered for closed-course racing. Whether you like that form of racing or not, it's hard to call that anything other than success.

My point is that it doesn't have to be one or the other. An eight-race season with four 15- to 20-mile closed course races and four endurance would look pretty good to me.

I love Rich's commentary, which is part of why I published it. (Frankly, I'd publish commentary from him I disagree with simply because it's always well written and well considered.) But again, as I suggested earlier, I think a blend of race formats has merit.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always wanted to see something more like a Cannonball Run combining an endurance run with like a hunt of some sort. Maybe a course from say Miami to Marathon pick up some floating packages that are placed in different locations (relayed to boats once run starts with GPS coordinates) with the further ones being worth more points and then turn northeast to Bimini and do the same, then back to Miami. The run would be based on a cummalitve of points earned by position+total run time+total package points.
I know it sounds a little weird but I think it would draw a good pool of "run what you brung".
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I love Rich's commentary, which is part of why I published it. (Frankly, I'd publish commentary from him I disagree with simply because it's always well written and well considered.) But again, as I suggested earlier, I think a blend of race formats has merit.
Offshore racing in its original model always created worldwide interest. In shore lap racing has not achieved the same results, nor will it ever, just as circle racing hydros and tunnels will never appeal to a knowledgeable marathon endurance fan. Face it, you have the wrong knives at the wrong gun fight.

Key West is a "whole 'nuther animal" in that it has rough water right at the mouth of the harbor in some cases ( But nothing like the old courses that ran outside the reef and towards the Dry Tortugas for many miles). The biggest fleets in KW history (70's-80's)came out when the laps were 20-50+ miles long running mostly out of sight from the harbor, yet the fan population was enormous ( even with far fewer hotels back then). Today KW is a desireable vacation destination for racers and their friends and families. In addition the room occupancy is padded with Poker Runners as well. You could have any kind of race down there in November and the place would be packed. You have to look at the other venues and watch the crowds as I do. Most of whom you see are people wearing shirts from one team or another, people who would be on this or that beach anyway, and a fair share of people watching from a boat and partying (that day's "destination"). The groundswell of fans and media interest that was out there in the 60's, 70's and 80's is long gone. It is my belief that this reduction in interest is in inverse proportion to the number of classes, course limitations, restrictions, sanctioning group bankruptcies, and myriad racing groups, which have created the absolutely boring product that is put on the water as a result.

Bottom line keep it simple, pure and limited to "real" racers only. If one wants in badly enough (and you have to have complete passion to belong there in the first place), you will adjust to the sport as it should be, rather than to how you want it.

T2x
Old 09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,070 Likes on 283 Posts

Well said Rich, see you soon I hope! Your favorite boat is at the shop!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.