Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Circut racing vs. long distance racing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/263293-circut-racing-vs-long-distance-racing.html)

MikeyFIN 09-30-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by dammmagnum (Post 3516995)
Steve,

I've talked to long time boaters out here about charts and plotting a course and they look at me like i was talking a foreign language. Things sure have changed.

Thank you
Jim

Problem is boaters do not know that the GPS is not a valid and legal navigation instrument, just an aid...
The GPS makers even have a disclaimer included in the "fine print".

scarab63 09-30-2011 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN (Post 3517001)
Problem is boaters do not know that the GPS is not a valid and legal navigation instrument, just an aid...
The GPS makers even have a disclaimer included in the "fine print".

Guilty.... Have a compas but it rarely gets more than a glance.
Also have a dusty a$$ chart book that only gets busted out during winter months for ” studying ” or daydreaming.

fastdonzi 09-30-2011 08:08 PM

I remember racing in Sarasota (not that long ago, 1995 ish) when the short laps where 26 miles long. and I remember some other races where the laps where only 7 miles, Lots of turning :)

AIR TIME 09-30-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by dammmagnum (Post 3516915)
Dave

Having run the Benihana GP out of Point Pleasant several times in the mid 70s, I have to agree with you.
I wonder how many can still plot a course with out a GPS unit and race with only a compass. it is pretty cool coming thru a fog bank and seeing your check point in front of you and you were right on course 8-10 miles off the beach.
In the 80s ran a race and at the drivers meeting they were asking for check point co-ordinates.
the old days

Thank you
Jim

two races I can think of, most of guys were following the lead boat sportsman classes A to D off coarse. BFI was the only boat to stay on coarse. I knew the navigator, well he went by his charted coarse, back in 1990 and 1993 or 4..hell I ran in morning fog to go watch, with just my notes and charts for 60 to 80 miles one way. after the race it rained with fog all the way back.:eek:. I like both types of racing. there was so much cheating with f1 and f2 gps, bracket racing helped. so the guys that run stock obs have a chance, running against the guys with 700 to 800hp. just look at the national champ over the last few years, its been a ob boat, from the 1990s straight bottom boat it all good.

sean stinson 09-30-2011 09:09 PM

Those who know me know where I stand but again the races in SD were over the top and the best race of the day was the single outboard P1 final

Top Banana 10-01-2011 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'vd raced circle courses with OPC and SK boats back in the day, but for me personally, there is nothing like a 360 degree view of just open ocean.

Sometimes you would run next to someone, sometimes you were alone and only you knew if you were pushing or not.

Fog banks in San Fran, water so clear over the banks in the Bahamas, you thought there was no water under the boat. Big, really Big, no BS waves in Argentina. The fear was always there, but you do it in spite of the fear and that is what makes you feel the most alive.

Steve McQueen in his movie Le Mans, had a line that went something like this.....Racing is life, everythng else is just waiting.

Open ocean long distance racing.....there is nothing I can compare it to and even come close.

Photo below from the book..Blue Water Warriors, is of Sam James in his 38 foot Bertram racing back from Dry Tortugas to Key West.

Keytime 10-01-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 3517341)
Photo below from the book..Blue Water Warriors, is of Sam James in his 38 foot Bertram racing back from Dry Tortugas to Key West.

That pic is insane.

scarab63 10-01-2011 05:32 PM

Sweet pic charles....

scarab63 10-01-2011 05:39 PM

Sweet pic charles

Lets bring this sh!t back
:signs069::signs069:

Mike A. 10-01-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 3517341)

I still think that is the best offshore race photo ever.