Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need some friendly advice from a lawyer! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26330-need-some-friendly-advice-lawyer.html)

Luvoffshore 06-11-2002 01:44 PM

Think it over SERIOUSLY!!

Good luck to you wanting to get married! DON'T do it just to follow the crowd!!! Personally I think you're to young for it yet. I didn't get married until I was 40. The only reason to do it earlier is to have kids! I would never do it again. I know there are quite a few happily married guys on this board, and I say congats if you are. The only thing I would make sure with your bride-to-be is that she is REALLY into the same things you are. Mine was at first, but has taken a 180 degree turn on quite a few things and I have to fight my time away from her to go boating. I really don't see me getting much different boat, while I am married (the key phrase for me) so I go with the flow these days until I have the nerve to confront things! Unfortunately, nothing is quaranteed in life and marriage is the biggest gamble of your life!

Wild Horses 06-11-2002 01:52 PM

Wife #1 was into all the things I was way way back. Then bit by bit she changed. Could have been kids, could have been age and the old... she grew up and....."I didn't". My therory is that "some ladies" ... not all however.... are all for everything you are until they land the catch. Then watch out. I sold my race car when things were not right, then a year later I was TOLD the boat had to go or she would. My final choice... Bye Bye wife!
We are still friends and would you go figure when Cathy and I purchased the new boat the first thing out of the ex's mouth was ...."when do I get to go for a ride" NOT! :D :D :D :D :D :D

THRILLSEEKER 06-11-2002 03:04 PM

Woah guys! I never said I was getting married, hell I dont plan on it for years if ever ,I just said that I wanted to be able to cover my a$$ if I ever did.

Risk Taker 06-11-2002 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Cord
Yea, marry the right girl........don't screw it up....
Exactly......and marry one that makes more money than you do.......:D ;) . I didn't do that the first time around.

Phknlwyr 06-11-2002 03:23 PM

I indirectly engaged in an Ohio divorce case at this time. Regardless of the jurisdiction, bank on a 50/50 split, subject to laws in certain states that allow each side to keep separate: a) inherited funds/property; b) money/property brought into the marraige; c) gifts from third parties made directly to you, not her. Do not comingle these special/separate funds or they lose their special status. It used to be that placing your funds in a trust would prevent you from losing your property. The problem with this scenario is that A) you have to appoint a trustee to manage your property (better make it someone you REALLY trust) and B) the court could impute income to you from the trust the same way they sometimes claim a spouse is underemployed and/or is taking steps to purposely reduce their income to avoid alimony.

The pre-nup is the most secure way to go, but even that has its pitfalls as you have read above. Marrying intelligently is great advice but remember people change and even the best intentions and due dilligenec from the beginning may prove all for naught at a later date if you or your bride changes and you longer are compatible.

That's this Phknlwyrs $.02.

mxz800 06-11-2002 03:38 PM

THRILLSEEKER you are doing the right thing by trying to protect your a$$! my brother who is also young is going through this very same thing. this money grubbing leach he has just wont quit. he thought she was the one, turn out she was the one to stay away from! think this through now cause you wont be thinking clearly when you are in puppy love and ready to do the marriage thing.

Good Luck, Rob

Luvoffshore 06-11-2002 04:07 PM

Add this to the deep well subjects!

They say Politics and Religion are the deep well subjects. Better throw Marriage in with it these days!! Good thinking THRILLSEEKER, stick with that nickname as long as you can, because marriage may take it away from you!! :cool: :p :D

NASTY HABIT 06-11-2002 04:15 PM

Fla everglades ........

Phknlwyr 06-11-2002 04:37 PM

I would take odds on Roxie vs. the Gatores in the everglades!

NASTY HABIT 06-11-2002 05:36 PM

That's good point Phkn...... I have already told her when i buy an air boat it's time to leave.....Imagine my shock when 2 months later she comes strolling in the door......She is a tough cookie !!