Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   If you had $150,000 to spend on a boat..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/263367-if-you-had-%24150-000-spend-boat.html)

SLOWRIDE-388 10-05-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by drpete3 (Post 3520121)
My question unless I missed it is what are the goals w the go fast boat?

Top speed?
useable cabin?
trailerable?
reliability?
age?
brand?
freeboard?

BTW Sy goldberg hooked me up w a great ins rate IMO on my V

Same here

Perlmudder 10-05-2011 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by FastVee (Post 3519521)
This boat is mine. I think you'll have a tough time finding a 116 MPH boat in this condition that is this reliable for $130k. The ebay listing ends in a few hours so give me a call if you don't see it on there and you are interested and I will send you pics. My cell number is 716-807-9891. Its a 2001 Fountain 42' Lightning W/ staggered Mercury 900's and Mercury dry sump #6 outdrives.

That Tundra was only hooked up to move it from one place to another on the same property. I obviously use a different truck to tow longer distances!

Did you have some work done at my friend Andy's shop recently?

Orthobam 10-05-2011 09:40 PM

Top speed? 90+
useable cabin? not a big deal. have the cruiser
trailerable? yes
reliability? yes
age? probably 04 or newer
brand? something common for resale in a couple of years (or months)
freeboard? not important

i'll add one length? 38ft+

richanton 10-06-2011 07:45 AM

Don't forget to look at what type of motors you are getting. Sure, #6 is obviously the better drive, but only if you can keep your motors running. In this price range a #6 boat will most likely have custom blower motors with hours, that set up can be a real headache. All else being equal, Mercury Racing motors should be the most reliable over the long run (followed by a BRAND NAME custom builder), and at around $150k that most likely means bravos because you don't really see the #6's until you get up to the 850s. 525s w/ bravos will be a much more reliable set-up than buying somebody else's worn out blower headache just because it is mated to a #6 drive. Bravos start to be a problem if you push too much power through them, but at 525hp you are fine. There are plenty of 525 boats that will get near 90 mph. Plus, bravos are much cheaper and easier to fix than a #6. Everything breaks eventually.

In "internet land" everybody needs to have twin 1200hp with #6 drives, but in reality the merc/bravo setup is much more popular. There are plenty of seasoned boaters out there who won't touch a boat unless it has merc power. If you can find a 700 NXT boat, that is the ticket.

The liquidator OL boat is probably the best bet for a #6 boat in terms of reliability, he's got fresh 750 Zuls which should be plenty reliable. At that price, it's a smoking deal too.

A.O. Razor 10-06-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by richanton (Post 3520942)
The liquidator OL boat is probably the best bet for a #6 boat in terms of reliability, he's got fresh 750 Zuls which should be plenty reliable. At that price, it's a smoking deal too.

They should not need anything else than oil, filters, impellers, regular maint. for the next 200+ hrs. That is one nice ride for sure.

Bravo reliabillity is not only about power. A heavy 40'+ boat on loto will be hard on any kind of bravo drive, no matter if you run 525 or 800 hp through them. Yes, you can take it easy and be gentle ect.ect.ect. But why even bother then? To have a powerboat that might tear the drives apart when you push it on a rough lake makes no sense to me. It's expensive and you'll always have that naggin' feeling in you when riding a bit rough at a pokerrun or just haulin' for fun.

drpete3 10-06-2011 08:33 AM

I agree a 700 nxt boat is the ticket. So a 37 AT, 42 fountain, 38 Donzi could be options that are out there.

richanton 10-06-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor (Post 3520971)

Bravo reliabillity is not only about power. A heavy 40'+ boat on loto will be hard on any kind of bravo drive, no matter if you run 525 or 800 hp through them. Yes, you can take it easy and be gentle ect.ect.ect. But why even bother then?

Because he only wants to spend $150k, so he has to make a compromise somewhere. He can either compromise on the motors and get #6 drives, or get a reliable merc motor and get bravos. I'm suggesting that over the long haul that will be the more reliable package. Also, he will be probably be getting a nicer hull, there are some great deals out there on some real nice bravo boats. I did a few little things to beef up my bravos and no problems. Maintenance is key, stay on top of the oil changes. My boat is heavy and I ain't afraid to run it in rough water.

If a bravo breaks it really isn't that expensive to fix and the parts are easy to get. Rebuild a #6 (yes they do break) or blow a transmission and see what that costs.

wananewboat 10-06-2011 06:56 PM

Does the 08 AT in the classifieds have 700 with NXT drives?
That looks like a very reliable ride.