Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
If you had $150,000 to spend on a boat..... >

If you had $150,000 to spend on a boat.....

Notices

If you had $150,000 to spend on a boat.....

Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm kind of in the same boat
i have a Formula 400ss with 525's that i really like, but i want a performance boat also

instead of selling the formula and getting a newer Cig with 700's i wlll keep the formula and get around a 2004 with 525's

Best of both worlds and since i bottom painted the formula it stays in the water full time, so we use is a lot more than we would if we had to launch it.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this boat runs 95-100. and looks awesome

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item336bd770b0
Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered

Option #2.

Families are a very power influence on your boating time. (Do not underestimate that). Right now they enjoy the sea ray, because it involves walking down the dock, unsnapping the cover, and climbing on board to enjoy. If the kids are tired, they lay down and go to sleep in the a/c. When your done for the weekend, spray her off, get a good night sleep, and your fresh for monday.

When you add trailering, not much cabin, or no a/c in the cabin, take away the dock life, etc. It could be a shock to the family. Don't get me wrong, I love my boat, and love gofast boating, but it comes at a price of time frustration, $$$, and every once in a while you have a trailer issue or mechanical issue that will keep you up untill 4am sunday night, and wives dont understand that all the time.

Now a floating dock will help, ez valet storage can be great, but it will be important as a new performance boater to understand the life style differences, and boating differences between Gofasts, and cruisers.

Poker runs are absolutely the best boating activities I have ever expereinced, Ive done sportfishing tournaments, dock parties, island hopping, etc, etc. Poker Runs are the most fun in my opinion, and if you had a nice, Extra boat, easy to trailer, run, load and maintain for your family, I have no doubts you will ease them and your self into a style of boating that will compliment your searay cruiser boating 100%.

All the Best, and Let me know if I can Help.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
One thing to consider. When looking for boats in this size to run at LOTO, get a boat with #6 or Arneson drives. Even when running mild power like 525's, a big heavy boat on a rough lake, can and most likely will detonate the drives at some point. Saving money on things like drives now, can get real expensive fast. Yes, you can baby it, but what is the fun in that, and why have to worry?
+1.

#6 drives will obviously dramatically increase desirability and resale value! Arnesons will also a certain extent, although I think people tend to pay more for the #6 drives. Both are great products and highly preferred over XR and other bravo based time bombs...

BTW, if you're buying a vee, I see no point in not having the cabin! It's nice to be able to get out of the elements and have a place to pee/sleep if need be.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered

Keep the cruiser and get a 30' skater. There are a few for sale- priced well. It handles nice and will run 100+ mph. The outboards are easy and reliable and don't cost a lot to maintain (unless you do serious damage) You can probably even find one with warranties left on the motors or buy the extended.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TDSTYG
this boat runs 95-100. and looks awesome

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item336bd770b0
I have been on this boat. Ride is great. It has 575's in it. When I was on it the props were not right and I think it ran about 95 then ( I was on the Madien voyage). I know you can get it for less than the asking price.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
One thing to consider. When looking for boats in this size to run at LOTO, get a boat with #6 or Arneson drives. Even when running mild power like 525's, a big heavy boat on a rough lake, can and most likely will detonate the Bravo drives at some point. Saving money on things like drives now, can get real expensive fast. Yes, you can baby it, but what is the fun in that, and why have to worry?
How much (approximately) would it be to upgrade to #6 drives?

Are the bravo drives that come out worth anything resale?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Orthobam

To add used 6's and transmissions and new tail pipes and have it re-rigged and have the transom glassed and recut would be around 100k. Add that to your 150k and get one with it already done.

Last edited by blume; 10-03-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Orthobam

A better idea would be to bolt on a set of Arneson surface drives and sell the Bravos.
This bolt on would net you 10 mph easy!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Registered

I say this 2008 Donzi 38 ZRC..Staggered 525 EFI, XR ITS Drives, great looking boat and is a good manufacture it is a nice deal.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o42114-en.html
Newer boat, low hours, 96mph and freshwater boat. They're asking 164k but offer the 150k and I'm sure they'll take it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.