Notices

Blackhawk drive

Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackhawk drive

I need to know all I can about blackhawk drive.
lokking at a boat with them. can anyone help with info?
Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

It's actually a great drive but setup was way to specific as to how they were used they were a victim of their own design. They require a very high x dim and a lot of rocker built into the running surface to feed the props. If it's a hull that is set up for it like the P29 Scarab then you,d have a pretty good boat.also keep in mind that if you damage a drive replacing it will be difficult and expensive but not impossible. I would not shy away from a boat with Blackhawks at all. Replacinging the drives with Bravos is an easy bolt on option but keep in mind the aforementioned hull mods that may be present because of the Blackhawk.

What are you looking at?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
It's actually a great drive but setup was way to specific as to how they were used they were a victim of their own design. They require a very high x dim and a lot of rocker built into the running surface to feed the props. If it's a hull that is set up for it like the P29 Scarab then you,d have a pretty good boat.also keep in mind that if you damage a drive replacing it will be difficult and expensive but not impossible. I would not shy away from a boat with Blackhawks at all. Replacinging the drives with Bravos is an easy bolt on option but keep in mind the aforementioned hull mods that may be present because of the Blackhawk.

What are you looking at?
Thanks for the reply, the blackhawks are on a 303 formula with 502's. the blackhawks are the reason Im not getting it, they are over my head.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

RickoShay,

Take a look at my 1996 Scarab P29 with twin small blocks. This might be something for you to pursue.

Todd M. Sutton
Smith Auto Sales & Leasing
1113 West Maumee Street
Angola, IN 46703
260.665.3440 (Office)
260.665.3399 (Fax)
260.760.8633 (Mobile)
www.smittysusa.com

Sent from Todd's iPhone
Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rickoshay
Thanks for the reply, the blackhawks are on a 303 formula with 502's. the blackhawks are the reason Im not getting it, they are over my head.
That is a rare bird i would be on it. Then again i like quirky stuff. I though most Blackhawks were on small blocks. I bet that boat runs pretty good and the roost is a plus

i love roost
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by rickoshay
Think you will be happy. the 303 bottom/setup with the blackhawks responded VERY well from what I have read/heard. You are going to idle rather fast so if you have speed zone be aware but think you will be really happy with that setup. Think someone on here is making props for these also which I think is the only weak link with these with the exception of the drive case
Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Registered

...fyi..there was a very informative discussion regarding the BlackHawk drive, parts, props etc...over at Scream & Fly a little while back...good info on a very kool set-up...New and used props & parts sound like they are out there, and being developed, as well...

...My personal experience's in my friends 22' Donzi makes me a believer..."close" to 80 and drove super...

...that Formula looks/sounds mighty fine to me...