Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need some friendly advice from a lawyer! >

Need some friendly advice from a lawyer!

Notices

Need some friendly advice from a lawyer!

Old 06-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some friendly advice from a lawyer!

Ive heard too many horror stories from friends about loosing their a$$ in a divorce. I have been told that you can put your assets in some kind of a trust and your spouse would not be able to touch it. Is their any truth to this? Also how about prenups?
I am young, and unmarried. Can any body give me any good legal advice so I can protect my business and other assets in the future so I dont get fu#*ed like my freinds did?
Old 06-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yea, marry the right girl the first time and don't screw it up. In Wisconsin it's 50/50. Don't know about the other states....
Old 06-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't get married.

Number one reason for divorce? Marriage.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Cord
Yea, marry the right girl the first time and don't screw it up. In Wisconsin it's 50/50. Don't know about the other states....
What he said! Marry the right girl and take your marriage seriously, then you don't have to worry about divorce.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:53 PM
Coddigtion

Well, I am broaching this right now. My GF/Fiancé is an attorney. I own a business and she has money in her own right also. We have been going through this a lot lately.

BUT! Prenup is about the only way to protect yourself, the trusts don't work. A prenup is usually invalid if you do something like cheat on your wife or things like that. I suggest that you have a prenuptial agreement, but it can only protect you so far.

Old 06-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Registered

Coddigtion..can you specify when you say that a prenup will only protect you so far?
Old 06-11-2002, 01:22 PM
Coddigtion

Prenup's usually have clauses in them that make them null and void if you do something bad, like cheat on your wife, murder or commit a crime. Also they can be found null and void if they go to far! Example you catch your wife cheating and she gets nothing. If you get married, what ever you make from that day forward is usually a large amount your wifes.

Old 06-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Wild Horses

HEY..... Were you not asking about my sister-in-law last weekend???????

Old 06-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Registered

Friendly advice/lawyer: 3 words that don't belong in the same sentence
Old 06-11-2002, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an atty and I can only help you to this extent -- GET A PRENUP! The law is different from state to state, so I cannot tell you the rules where you live. I can tell you that both parties need a lawyer, and that if one side doesn't get a lawyer, it will be easier to set it aside later.

I had a prenup, and went through a divorce, -- it was tough. I don't want to think of what it would have been like without it.

Nevertheless, everyone else is right -- marrying the correct person is the key. The old addage "measure twice, cut once applies.

Quick Reply: Need some friendly advice from a lawyer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.