Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stellings downturn ("gray") headers - new/used? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/263876-stellings-downturn-gray-headers-new-used.html)

C_Spray 10-11-2011 11:21 AM

Stellings downturn ("gray") headers - new/used?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm running these headers on a pair of 600hp Innovations. I've had them on for seven seasons/450 hours, and had to patch one of the outer tubes four years ago. Here are my questions:
  1. Given that all tube-in-tube headers are eventually suspect, what are the odds that I'm likely to have problems in the near future? It is a side-by-side installation, so there are no long tailpipe support issues to worry about. I run plenty of water pressure, so the headers are rarely too warm to touch, and I have only had one or two minor issues of low water pressure over the years. There are no signs of any real discoloration on any of the pipes.
  2. What does Stellings charge to test and examine two sets of headers?
  3. Are these headers still in production? I don't see anything about headers on stellings' site...
  4. What is a good price for a used set if they look good, but the history is unknown?

Thanks!!

cdail28590 10-11-2011 11:39 AM

I have a set of the Stelling green headers and they had also developed a leak around the 4 tube collector area. I called Stellings and they said they did not repair them anymore but sent them to a guy locally that did all the repairs for them as he was cheaper than what they could repair them for. They gave me his # and I sent them to him. To put a completely new collector, pressure test, and polish my header was $450. I think the guy charged $50 and hour and he said the most expensive repair he has had to do was replace the collector. Header came back looking brand new.

C_Spray 10-12-2011 03:10 PM

1. Does anyone know of a shop in the Northeast that tests and/or repairs headers?
  2. Does anyone know any history on this eBay listing?: Headers on eBay I've asked the seller about their history twice, but recieved no reply.

Thanks!

scarabman 10-12-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3525702)
  1. Does anyone know of a shop in the Northeast that tests and/or repairs headers?
  2. Does anyone know any history on this eBay listing?: Headers on eBay I've asked the seller about their history twice, but recieved no reply.

Thanks!

Chuck,

there is a guy up here in NJ that can do just about anything with stainless. He has done a lot of header fab and repair for guys around the area including rolf. His name is John Trione. I dont have his number but I can get it if you like?

C ya, Mark

BONDO10 10-13-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3525702)

Thanks!

I am not completely sure,but I read somewhere that the Outerlimits factory would do header repairs. Send OLSLV40 (dan) a PM he works there.

C_Spray 03-07-2015 11:13 AM

Bump. Still in the market for a nice used set with decent documentation.