Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Stellings downturn ("gray") headers - new/used? >

Stellings downturn ("gray") headers - new/used?

Notices

Stellings downturn ("gray") headers - new/used?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stellings downturn ("gray") headers - new/used?

I'm running these headers on a pair of 600hp Innovations. I've had them on for seven seasons/450 hours, and had to patch one of the outer tubes four years ago. Here are my questions:
  1. Given that all tube-in-tube headers are eventually suspect, what are the odds that I'm likely to have problems in the near future? It is a side-by-side installation, so there are no long tailpipe support issues to worry about. I run plenty of water pressure, so the headers are rarely too warm to touch, and I have only had one or two minor issues of low water pressure over the years. There are no signs of any real discoloration on any of the pipes.
  2. What does Stellings charge to test and examine two sets of headers?
  3. Are these headers still in production? I don't see anything about headers on stellings' site...
  4. What is a good price for a used set if they look good, but the history is unknown?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails Stellings downturn ("gray") headers - new/used?-p1010127.jpg  
Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a set of the Stelling green headers and they had also developed a leak around the 4 tube collector area. I called Stellings and they said they did not repair them anymore but sent them to a guy locally that did all the repairs for them as he was cheaper than what they could repair them for. They gave me his # and I sent them to him. To put a completely new collector, pressure test, and polish my header was $450. I think the guy charged $50 and hour and he said the most expensive repair he has had to do was replace the collector. Header came back looking brand new.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

1. Does anyone know of a shop in the Northeast that tests and/or repairs headers?
  2. Does anyone know any history on this eBay listing?: Headers on eBay I've asked the seller about their history twice, but recieved no reply.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
  1. Does anyone know of a shop in the Northeast that tests and/or repairs headers?
  2. Does anyone know any history on this eBay listing?: Headers on eBay I've asked the seller about their history twice, but recieved no reply.

Thanks!
Chuck,

there is a guy up here in NJ that can do just about anything with stainless. He has done a lot of header fab and repair for guys around the area including rolf. His name is John Trione. I dont have his number but I can get it if you like?

C ya, Mark
Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray

Thanks!
I am not completely sure,but I read somewhere that the Outerlimits factory would do header repairs. Send OLSLV40 (dan) a PM he works there.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Bump. Still in the market for a nice used set with decent documentation.