Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New 3500 series Dodge (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26388-new-3500-series-dodge.html)

RCM255 06-12-2002 03:55 PM

stay away from the Dodge. I worked in a Dodge dealer as recently as last year. the trucks look nice and they ride nice. the motor and the differentials will last a lifetime. you're all aware of the tranny problems. i don't have any info on a new trans for these trucks. if you want i'll see what i can find out. i still have connections. bottom line though is more trucks came into the shop for major repairs than any other vehicle. being on the "inside" so to speak i really wasn't impressed with their engineering.

Russ

packinair 06-12-2002 07:22 PM

CALL ME WITH YOUR ORDERS!!!! 419-279-2224 Scott.. Special OSO discounts

Gumbydammit 06-12-2002 07:33 PM

HE HE HE. Head in ass or not, I think I wil take one!
If those special offers take about 65% of the retail off, you have just made a sale.
(I'll take the one with the stick, thanks.....oh, and you can keep the turbo and header too.)

fountain1fan 06-12-2002 10:01 PM

i can't weight it will finnely put the na sayer to shut up at leased it 's got real solid axels under it rmc 225 ive got a 1500 318 391 gear and have NO trouble out of it i love my dodge you can have all the ford and chevy outthere ive got a hole to barrey them all in right behind the house your ifs will not make it out sorry guys put me in line for a new cummings

Scarab P-29 06-12-2002 10:35 PM

The new hemi engine is strong a friend brought a mule truck home from diamler and I had a chance to check it out I believe he said it has a new trans.

h2owarrior 06-12-2002 10:45 PM

Hey fountain1fan, are you related to puder ?:D :D

RCM255 06-13-2002 08:34 AM

Chris,

your truck is golden. you did the smart thing and got the 5 speed.
As i said before the cummins diesel and the dana rears will last a lifetime. this wasn't meant to be a Ford, Chevy, Dodge pissing
contest. i'm just speaking from what I witnessed first hand.

for fountain1fan, if you only have a 1500 series you don't have
the solid axles under your truck. a friend of mine has one and he's already had the rear diff done 3x and he's also on his second
motor. don't take it to heart man, its just what i've experienced

Russ

fountain1fan 06-13-2002 10:21 PM

rcm225 im sorrey i for got to mention itr's a 97 and it does have a solid axel dana 44 3500 lbs axel h2o warroir im not related to puder we jest type the same he he he he

29 OUTLAW 06-13-2002 10:41 PM

Have to wonder what the 305hp motor is going to do to gas mileage. Gas mileage is the reason I went with a Cummins in my current trunk. That extra HP has to come at the expense of extra fuel - or perhaps it comes by means of Detroit smoke and mirrors.

voodoo 06-13-2002 11:39 PM

I have a new 1500 QC and there is no "extended cab" truck with near as much back seat room. I also looked at the F-150 Super Crew and it has no more leg room in the rear than my Dodge but the doors may be slightly larger. The Super Crew's box is almost 1 ft. shorter which sucks. The Chevy HD and the F-250/350 do have more room. I do not need or want a 3/4 ton truck. The Chevy HD crew cabs look terrible. I looked at a 1500 HD but could not bring myself to buy a truck that ugly. The cab/box /tire combination just doesn't look right. The 2500 HD has a different hood and tires which look a little better. Ford F-250/350 just ride like chit(don't try to tell me they don't, I have to ride in one more than I'd like to), but they are a solid truck if you need that much GVW. The ride and noise level of the new Dodge is second to none. I had all but bought the Ford when I drove the Dodge. 5 miles later my mind was made up. I have had several Dodges over the last 8 years and no problems warranty didn't take care of. As far as tranny problems go, I used to sell towing equipment, and the Ford 5 speed was the worst tranny on the market. Unless they have made drastic improvements I wouldn't toot my horn too loudly. No doubt the Allison is the best available. But $42,000+ for a well equipped pick up is nuts. I'd buy a crew cab International Low-Pro before I'd spend that kind of money on a pick-up that won't be worth $10,000 once it hits 100,000 miles. The engine and tranny may still be good but the rest of the truck will be junk just like any other pick-up.