Notices

Cat Diesel in a Ford?

Old 06-12-2002, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Diesel in a Ford?

Has anybody drove one of theese new Fords w/ the Cat motor?
Its suposed to be one bad a$$ pullin rig. Also heard that the Cat motor was a 10,000 dollar option. Anybody know anything about it?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

WOW, that's news to me! I thought that Ford was going to put the Cummins in their trucks, (Ford Owns Cummins) once the Cummins licensing agreement expires with Dodge, which I thought/heard was this year or next? And I thought Dodge was going to end up with a Cat diesel in their trucks? Is the PSD now history, or does Ford offer both diesels? That wouldn't make much sense to offer 2 different diesels from 2 different engine builders in the same chassis?
I'm curious,
MD
Old 06-12-2002, 08:33 AM
Registered

I think that they are still going to use psd but,,hell if the Cat is indeed a 10k option I seriously doubt that they will sell many.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:40 AM
Registered

Dean,

I work for Cummins and Ford does not own them. About 10 years ago there was talk about a forced buy out on Cummins stock. Ford and Cummins at the time had pretty close ties. Cummins did alot of engine developement for Ford. Ford as a good gesture bought 10 % of Cummins stock to avoid the buy out. About 3 years later the fear went away and Cummins bought the stock back from Ford.

Also, I have heard of no Cats being put in anything smaller than an F650. Navistar has just spent a ton of money developing the new 6 liter V8 and the 4.5 liter V6 for Ford Medium and light duty trucks. I am not sure of the length on the aggreement, but Ford did sign a long term agreement with Navistar.

There will be a Cat option availible in F650, 750, and 850 However which is a first.

There are so many rumors flying around right now in this industry right now it hard to keep track of them all

Also Dodge still has a 7 year option on our agreement.

Last edited by 302SR1; 06-12-2002 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think 302sr1 has it . The cats are probably in the bigger trucks ,not the pickup's . WHat truck did you hear they were in thrillseeker ? I think that with the luck they have had ,Navistar is here to stay . And yes they do have a new navistar coming out .It's smaller with more power . This motor has been coming for a long time . WHen I was in Louisville at the Mid America truck show in 1999 , the navistar rep told me about this new motor then ! He said it would go in soon . THat was a few years ago .so I geuss they took the time to get the bugs out before releasing it to us horse power crazed maniacs !
Old 06-12-2002, 09:56 AM
Registered

Did not hear exactly what truck they were goin in, but a friend of mine is looking to buy a new F350 and a dealer asked him if he wanted it w/the Cat option.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:24 AM
AZDominator

I saw a Cat powered diesel in a F350 4x4 this January at Love's truck stop on I-10 in Phoenix, Az. There was a one-piece molded emblem with F-350 and CATERPILLAR just below it.

Old 06-12-2002, 11:35 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I too had heard the Ford bought Cummins rumor. The rumor also said that Dodge was going to drop Cummins and go to a Mercedes V-8 diesel. Oh, well. Looks like the grape vine dropped that one.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

See, that's what I get for listening to Cord!!
Cord, how's the Firehawk coming along?
MD
Old 06-12-2002, 02:05 PM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow I SAW ONE!!!!!!!!!!

It looked brand new, but was already painted up with Harley decor and matched the huge enclosed trailer it was pulling...
Very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Cat Diesel in a Ford?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.