Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: legal advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26402-ot-legal-advice.html)

G-Force 06-12-2002 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Audiofn
sell them to a friend or get them swapped over to some one. Make sure all the proper paperwork is filed and they are transfered over legally. Then when all this mess is over he can get them back.

Ewwwwwwwwww......good idea!!!

euby 06-12-2002 02:10 PM

audiofn
yea but wouldn't it be obvious what he was doing? transferring after the fact that they were ordered destroyed?

i know he has some shotguns that have been handed down from the family and some expensive civil war firearms that if it were me.... they would have to come get! They have no record of what he owns that he knows of, so i told him to take them some junk pistols and an old mossburg shotgun i have and screw em

Chart 06-12-2002 02:23 PM

Destroyed?! If they were used in a crime, then they can be confiscated. But if no crime has happened, then when the government takes your property, arn't they susposed to pay market rates for it. We have a neighborhood meeting this week because the government wants part of our common ground to enlarge a road. They will pay for the property.

euby, is this happening in Indy? If this were made public, the judge could have a hard time getting re-elected in Indiana.

On the other hand, if those bad bad guns are destroyed, then the wife will be safe, because those bad bad guns won't force your friend to use them. And surely, if he was so inclined to hurt the woman anyway, he is not smart enought to find any other method besides the guns he now owns. I'm sure the judge thought this one through:rolleyes:

If the law can make his destroy the guns, trying to get around the law may cause him more legal trouble than he really wants.

THRILLSEEKER 06-12-2002 02:46 PM

No Doubt Chart, Sounds like this judge is on one of those I am a woman hear me roar power trips.:rolleyes:

She may find out that her brash rulling might come back and bite her in the a$$ someday, I hope it does.

MY .02

euby 06-12-2002 02:59 PM

[i]

euby, is this happening in Indy? If this were made public, the judge could have a hard time getting re-elected in Indiana.

[/B]
yep...Marion county courthouse....i wish i had her name.
but then she may want my guns:confused:

has anybody ever heard of this happening anywhere else? I thought maybe there was some new law I hadn't heard about.

Sounds like she(the judge) may want to be Mayor...I've taken more guns off the street than anyone:
you park in a handicapped zone=we take you guns
we catch your dog out of the yard=we take your guns
you get caught speeding=we take your guns
you bounce a check=we take your guns

and thats just the beginning..
:mad:

mxz800 06-12-2002 03:20 PM

if they did have a list of the old collectable guns he owned, it would be a terrible thing if someone broke into his residence and stole them. Of course it wouldnt be so bad if they were recovered after all this divorce thing was over. Not that i would ever think of doing it intentionally,:rolleyes: but stranger things have happened to nice people.:rolleyes:

my 2 cents Rob

THRILLSEEKER 06-12-2002 04:03 PM

MXZ, I like the way you think!:D

Audiofn 06-12-2002 04:20 PM

If these guns of your friends are not registerd then he can just hand them to whom ever he wants and he is set. Then they can come over to his house and search the whole place and they will find nothing. I find it VERY hard to believe that they can make him destroy Valuable family airlooms like that!!!! Actually this whole thing pisses me off and I have my guns all packed up and I am headed for the range in a few min. I will riffle some throught the bulls eye for you guys. There are no records of the guns then as you said bring them some crap. Hey I even found a rusty automatic frame out behind the shop the other day I will send it to ya. It is almost impossible to tell it is a gun but it is. Wonder what crime it was used in ;) ;) ;)

Advantage_Rob 06-12-2002 04:57 PM

This just re-assures my theory, there's two ways to go thru life, married, or happy!

Not that I know much about any of this, but the NRA big on supporting the rights of responsible gun owners, They may be willing to have thier expert lawers that know how to deal with this issue, advise, or even refer a few case studies to your friends lawers, to help build a presidence of case studies for the appeal hearing. It's worth a shot.

It sounds like this whole thing sucks though.

Phknlwyr 06-12-2002 05:06 PM

Rob,

Very good point. The NRA would love to tackle a case like this; however, they would probably screen it to make sure that the friend in the scenario is "clean" - i.e. has no history violence, guns are properly registered, etc. They love to throw their weight behind a perfect case so that they can use it for their own purposes with the media later.