Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I want to be a Mercury Certified Tech >

I want to be a Mercury Certified Tech

Notices

I want to be a Mercury Certified Tech

Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rock and roll Sean, thanks for the heads up, I'll give them a ring and see if I can send them my resume to check out. My aunt lives in south beach area on Biscayne bay.

Fast fun, so have you ever sent a rookie off to school to move up?

The chase is on!!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered

You have to be a full time employee of an authorized dealer. You have to do some E-skills training and pass a general competency test, which is quite in depth. After that you can start attending classes working toward enough points to take the test. It is not a quick or easy process.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Registered

Mercury University

Link covers most of what you are looking for and contact info
General
http://wwwarchive.mercurymarine.com/mercury_university2

How to become cert/master
http://wwwarchive.mercurymarine.com/.../certified.pdf

i think there were also some 3-5 day courses offered somewhere but not sure they applied to the merc program specifically. I remember wanting to attend but wasn't able. Anyone remember those? Seems like there was a 3 day course specific to Bravo which I thought would be great to attend

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 10-14-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for the links for the links ^^^^

Rvrcat28, yea thats pretty much what i was thinking, that you had to be an employee at a local dealer in order to get in.

Guess thats what I can keep my eyes open for then!

Appreciate the help all!!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Good luck to you. There is a shortage of those willing to put in the time and effort. The MMI schools are helpful, but if you already have mechanical ability, working at a dealer with experienced people is a practical alternative.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Registered

I would not waste your time and money with MMI. I have had 3 graduates from there work for me over the years and not 1 lasted more than 3 days. Not sure what they teach their students, but it sure wasn't what is needed when working on Marine Engines or Outdrives !
Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sdpm
I would not waste your time and money with MMI. I have had 3 graduates from there work for me over the years and not 1 lasted more than 3 days. Not sure what they teach their students, but it sure wasn't what is needed when working on Marine Engines or Outdrives !
I was kinda afraid of that. seems like those kinda places are magnets for people who feel "this will make me understand everything" of course if you dont love what you do,or have the common sense of how things work nothing is going to help...some have the ability and some just dont......

Guess the best thing to do is just look for the right place to start at and take it from there
Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by RVRCAT28
You have to be a full time employee of an authorized dealer. You have to do some E-skills training and pass a general competency test, which is quite in depth. After that you can start attending classes working toward enough points to take the test. It is not a quick or easy process.
I second that...
Jr.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sdpm
The money that one pays to go to that school compared is alot.. With your previous experience your better off getting a job at a certified marina.... Thats what I did....
Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't get certified out of MMI or any tech school. You'll still have to get hired at a dealer and start the certification process with them. The problem is after you spend all that money for school it's still hard to get hired because you have no experience. The best thing to do is find a job at a Merc dealer doing anything, if you're good they'll send you to school. It's free and it gets you experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.