Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tricks on replacing starboard starter??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/264041-tricks-replacing-starboard-starter.html)

aggressive behav 10-14-2011 06:48 AM

Tricks on replacing starboard starter???

I'm new to this site and I gotta tell ya, I've learned alot from here already.. I just bought '88 formula with 2-454's. The starboard starter soleniod operates when it feels like it (I've had to "persuade" it to engage a couple times), but it now has lived its life out. I was able to get the starter out, but it wasn't wasy and I had gravity on my side. Do I have to pull engine out enough to get new starter in? I'm sure some of you have had to do this and may know some tricks. Thanks!!

nsformula 10-14-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by aggressive behav (Post 3527123)
I'm new to this site and I gotta tell ya, I've learned alot from here already.. I just bought '88 formula with 2-454's. The starboard starter soleniod operates when it feels like it (I've had to "persuade" it to engage a couple times), but it now has lived its life out. I was able to get the starter out, but it wasn't wasy and I had gravity on my side. Do I have to pull engine out enough to get new starter in? I'm sure some of you have had to do this and may know some tricks. Thanks!!

I took the bolts to a machine shop and had some made with a long hex, 3 inches maybe.
Made it way easier to get bolt started by hand and then tools attached.
Still a pain to get the starter lined up to the housing though.

waycool marine 10-14-2011 07:37 AM

some of the old bigblocks have another solenoid, mounted above the fuel pump, I would try that 1st

aggressive behav 10-14-2011 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by waycool marine (Post 3527158)
some of the old bigblocks have another solenoid, mounted above the fuel pump, I would try that 1st

Thanks guys.... I did see soleniod above fuel pump and had already checked that. Getting voltage to starter soleniod.. Thanks

txriverrat2001 10-14-2011 07:51 AM

Run a string down the side of the block and loop it around the starter. Have someone hold it - move it up and down - makes it a helluva lot easier... once the bolts are in - unloop string and move on....

aggressive behav 10-14-2011 08:46 AM

String or strap sounds like a great idea.. I feel for the people that work on boats.. Racing front engine dragsters were much easier to work on..

txriverrat2001 10-14-2011 08:48 AM

Oh it works .. done it for yrs.... Sea water pumps on a 36 NorTech w/ 850SCI's suck also ... :-)

expertinboats 10-14-2011 09:25 PM

Actually The Easiest Way And The Fastest Way On That Formula Is Just Pull The Engine
It Only Takes About A Hour To Get It Ready To Lift
It Is The Easiest Way