Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Chinese boat building industry >

Chinese boat building industry

Notices

Chinese boat building industry

Old 10-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It wouldn't cost maybe 10 to 15% more to buy stuff built here. People are cheap. I would gladly spend more if the product was equal. I buy a lot of stuff that is made in Europe. My wifes car is a BMW. Why cant we make a car equal to a BMW for the same $. American cars arn't even close in quality, ride and handling. I buy Grundfos pumps because the Taco brand made in the USA isn't as good of a product.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike tkach
sad thing is it will no doubt end up here in the us,just like all the rest of the chinese junk.its time for america to wake up,make our own products,and let the chinese keep there crap.
x1000
Old 10-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 875 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
It wouldn't cost maybe 10 to 15% more to buy stuff built here. People are cheap. I would gladly spend more if the product was equal. I buy a lot of stuff that is made in Europe. My wifes car is a BMW. Why cant we make a car equal to a BMW for the same $. American cars arn't even close in quality, ride and handling. I buy Grundfos pumps because the Taco brand made in the USA isn't as good of a product.
I guess it would depend on which BMW as the little one (forget the model) is built in South Carolina and shipped to Europe. I was at the Charlston port and there were hundreds of them being loaded on a ship.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
I guess it would depend on which BMW as the little one (forget the model) is built in South Carolina and shipped to Europe. I was at the Charlston port and there were hundreds of them being loaded on a ship.

you sir are wrong I have a 135 and it was not built here it was built in Germany. You said little bmw that's the smallest one they make so im not sure which model you are referring to. I picked it up in Germany fresh off the line than had it shipped here. What you are seeing is probably a distribution hub for bmw, port hueneme is full of bmw's to because that's where they are delivered and prepped for most dealerships on the west coast...
Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
All variants of the Mini-Cooper? X&Z's?

Last edited by golfmaxgolf; 10-15-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

Its not even that much,I see it all the time products that I sell that used to be USA made are all a sudden coming from China with no drop in price.It said I would love to sell all American made products but I can't they are not available.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

There IS a plant here in the us for BMW. I think by little, what he means is the roadster.

They make the roadsters here and the SUV. Not sure of the models, but I was working there on a job once and toured the factory. Very high end place. No wonder they are so expensive.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thinkerer

The BMW X5s SUV is built in Spartenbug/Greer S.C. the older Z3 Roadster were also built there until a few years ago. and and the Mercedes M Class is built in Tuscaloosa Alabama
The BMW in S.C. plant is pretty interesting as a large part of the plant is powered from the Methane Gas from the local land fill. The Lear seats are made just up the road and the Michelin Tires are made next door.

Designed in Germany but built here.

Thank you
Jim
Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Registered

Actually when we recently bought the boat, I made it a quest to purchase American made products for the boat. It wasn't easy, of course, because of all the companies that would rather sell an inferior quality Chinese made product but make enormously more profit. After all, the only reason for Chinese made products on the marketplace is for some ultra greedy company to make higher profits, period.
I'm happy to say that I was able to buy all my dock lines and anchor line made by Custom Cordage in Maine and the anchor from Fortress and the Danforth chain all made in the USA. All fine quality components and at VERY little of a premium in price. In fact, one or 2 pieces were lower in cost than imports.
It's rewarding to me to still be able to find US made products and enjoy the improved quality that they represent.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Registered

Ok let me preface this by saying that I have no problem with European products because we do trade fairly evenly with them. They are GOOD trade partners unlike all of the Orient who aren't. However, as good as the German built cars are, and they are the standard of the World, be aware that the US car manufacturers aren't asleep at the wheel, either.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.