Is This 496 Dyno Pull Legit?

Notices

Is This 496 Dyno Pull Legit?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
testing a stock 496Mag and a stock 496HO engine that Dana Marine supplied along with their Flo-Torque 496 kit ehaust header manifolds. Raylar worked with Dana Marine to put together a complete header manifold kit that would bolt on to a Merc 496 base engine along with its special brackets and fittings.

I personally confirmed that both engines were exact stock Merc 496 base untouched engines with stock ECM programs.

I guess I am not sure of the question or meaning of the original post here, but I can assure based on our tests and in later in boat findings that the horsepower and torque increases shown in these tests were as accurate as any done in our industry.
If you are asking whether the Dana headers produce the power shown in thse tests I can say most certainly yes in Raylars and others testing. I believe Dana has sold a lot of these kits for Merc 496's and from the feedback I have received these headers have performed very well as a great power upgrade for stock and modified MERC 496'S.

Again, just the facts.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
There seems to be a little confusion in that video where you're claiming 550hp. Surely that wasn't just from the headers?

we tried everything on a stock manifold on our dyno testing with our aluminum heads and we could not get the stock intake to flow enough air to even make quite 525HP.
Believe me when I say Raylar would never have made a new expensive intake manifold if we did not believe we had to, especially to keep the costs to users on upgrades down.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Yes you can, effortlessly and for less money. When you swap an intake, cam, and heads on your 496 you still have cast pistons waiting to explode. You do the same swap on a 502 and you'll have 600+hp with a nice forged rotating assembly.
Fogducker's 454 makes more power running stock heads, stock cam, stock intake, and a used procharger he got cheap. No problems, forged rotator from the factory..
Show me all the guys with shattered pistons on their MAG motors.?
I can send you pictures if you like!!
Broken ring line on two pistons!!

Last edited by verbi69; 10-17-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: confused
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 4bus
So you have never seen detination on anything other than a 496? Water injestion and detination are the numer one killers of all marine engines, no matter what model.

Would I take cast over forged? NEVER, however to call the 496 a bad engine because of cast internals is not accurate. In fact the advanced electronics on the 496 allow it to deal with bad fuel better than a 454/502 which cannot retard the timing far enough to compensate. Add a smart craft systems to a 496 (you cant to the older engines) and you are damn near bulletproof.

I know first hand one can be done with a standard forged BBC and some parts or boost, not what I am talking about. The constant bashing of a 496 is what bothers me. To say it is a pile of junk, crap, cast garbage blah blah blah and basing that on only what is READ on a forum is nonsense. There is nothing wrong with that engine, in fact a stock 496HO MAG will out perform the old black engines.
I agree, a stock 496 Mag or HO with good maintenance and one which has not been overheated will last forever.
The amount of alarms on the engine is intimidating unless you buy a Rhinda scan tool.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by verbi69
I agree, a stock 496 Mag or HO with good maintenance and one which has not been overheated will last forever.
The amount of alarms on the engine is intimidating unless you buy a Rhinda scan tool.
That is a fair statement.

I dont know why people buy a boat then dont spring $400 for the Rinda software. It is so easy to use it is ridiculous. If you can type messages on this forum, you can open Rinda on a laptop and diagnose an alarm.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cubicinch
Keith, yes by all means please post the pictures. I for one, along with many others would like to see your installed Raylar 600s with the Danas.

Looking forward to seeing them, thanks.
Exhaust and completed engines
Attached Thumbnails Is This 496 Dyno Pull Legit?-dscf2333-small-.jpg   Is This 496 Dyno Pull Legit?-dscf2443-small-.jpg   Is This 496 Dyno Pull Legit?-dscf2760-medium-.jpg  

Is This 496 Dyno Pull Legit?-dscf2761-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
That is a fair statement.

I dont know why people buy a boat then dont spring $400 for the Rinda software. It is so easy to use it is ridiculous. If you can type messages on this forum, you can open Rinda on a laptop and diagnose an alarm.
I agree.
Not having a Smartcraft monitor for my 496 was plain stupid.
When an alarm would go off it was a crap shoot.

My 525's have the smartcraft display, an alarm went off this summer and displayed low voltage due to a weak battery, no panic!!

I purchased a Rhinda scan tool to keep in the boat as well....no more guessing.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can say this is a great engine very worthy of its great reputation of being one of the most successful and reliable big block GM marinized engine ever offered!
Raylar, great response, thank you for taking the time to answer so many questions. Nice to here that the 496 is capable of substantial upgrades without fear of devastation. Unfortunately, I too have always heard the 496 was a little weak down stairs because of the cast/hypereutectic internals and because of this, so many have chosen not to make top end improvements without first upgrading to an all forged assembly. I remember there was a lot of disappoint at its debut back in 2000 when it was learned that the new mags internals were not forged. Many people were still trying to order the older mags when making a new boat purchase especially if they had upgrades in mind, but that’s in the past. Agreed, the 496 has proven itself, if it had major problems, I’m sure Merc would have discontinued its use, or made corrections themselves.

Still a little curious as to why GM changed the platform.

Raylar, are you exclusive only to the 496, or do you provide kits for the old mags as well. I know there are still a lot of them out there and know many people who still swear by them, including my friends.

Nice job on the video!

Thanks.

Originally Posted by verbi69
I can send you pictures if you like!!
Broken ring line on two pistons!!
Verbi69, post the pics. Pictures are great.

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Exhaust and completed engines
Keith, great pics, engines look awesome.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The biggest problem with the 496 is the bore.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Glad I can Help

Thank you 1cubicinch for the compliments. I do try and help 496 owners and potential users know the facts and realities of this fine engine.
As of this time the only other platfrom we have come out with a product for is our 675HP upgrade for the mercury Racing HP525efi engine. We will continue to develop new prodcuts and platforms and the 454-502 efi engines are on our radar.

Hey Pismo10, I don't agree that the bore is a problem on the 496 engine. Just ask a few Raylar HO600 -496 owners like Kieth on this thread. His punney little 508 cubic inch small bore 4.280" engines make a nice respectable 640+HP on good old 89 octane pump gas on a naturally aspirated engine making 1.27 HP per cubic inch. Bore size problem, I don't think so! Just more facts.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 10-18-2011, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you 1cubicinch for the compliments. I do try and help 496 owners and potential users know the facts and realities of this fine engine.
As of this time the only other platfrom we have come out with a product for is our 675HP upgrade for the mercury Racing HP525efi engine. We will continue to develop new prodcuts and platforms and the 454-502 efi engines are on our radar.

Hey Pismo10, I don't agree that the bore is a problem on the 496 engine. Just ask a few Raylar HO600 -496 owners like Kieth on this thread. His punney little 508 cubic inch small bore 4.280" engines make a nice respectable 640+HP on good old 89 octane pump gas on a naturally aspirated engine making 1.27 HP per cubic inch. Bore size problem, I don't think so! Just more facts.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Why limit yourself with a smaller bore? With a 4.5 or 4.6 bore times 1.27hp per cube you get even more power with no additional work at all. I do think so, Just more facts....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.