Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Warranty Issues New Duramax Diesel >

Warranty Issues New Duramax Diesel

Notices

Warranty Issues New Duramax Diesel

Old 06-12-2002, 11:08 AM
32Dominator01

Question Warranty Issues New Duramax Diesel

Has anyone heard of any warranty issues on the new Durmax diesel or major engine problems? I was told by a company that sells performance chips that they are not selling performance chips for this engine because it can cause engine issues down the road. Such as fuel, electrical, and head problems.

Old 06-12-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy I know that has a new one, had it for 6 months and all of the injectors quit working within 2 days so he had them replaced and they quit working again 3 weeks later (keep in mind this was not a dirty fuel problem) so he had them replaced again now the engine has a nasty knock I have heard from one other guy who also had injector problems, and two other people with knocking problems. They all have said that GM has fixed the waranteed problems with no hassle.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:28 AM
Registered

OH! and to answer your question the guy with the most problems did have a performance chip in his truck.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:41 PM
Wild Horses

My truck has been perfect other than a fuel block leak in the first week. 01 D/A LT Dually ext. cab - BLACK 27000 km

Old 06-12-2002, 01:03 PM
32Dominator01

The only reason I ask is because I would like to put a performance chip in but I am nervous about doing so. 2002 2500 HD 4 door 7k.

Old 06-12-2002, 04:21 PM
Registered

If That Engine Is So "Great" Why Is Everyone Wanting To Put Performance Chips In Them????????????

Jeff
Old 06-12-2002, 04:31 PM
Registered

WHO MAKE A CHIP FOR A DURAMAX?
Old 06-12-2002, 06:07 PM
pimpthis.com
Charter Member

The Duramax has been great so far. What I have seen is 2 injection pump failures, 1 computer failure, and 2 small fuel leaks. Other than that the Daramax/Allison combo is a great buy. There is a company called bully dog. They make a chip and 4 inch exhaust. I installed both on a buddys crew cab. What an amazing increase in HP and Torque. Check out www.bullydog.com.
The knocking noise is usually caused by to high fuel pressure which I have found to be a bad connection at the pressure sensor. Normal fuel pressure at idle is about 5000 psi. The injection pump can produce over 30,000 psi. At idle that extra pressure make a loud knock.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:30 PM
Registered

Have had mine since 11/3/2000. Have had no problems related to the duramax. When pulling with my 8000lbs boat/trailer I can keep up with the best of them. You should see the look on people's faces when I pull away from the light as fast as they do.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been shopping for a new truck and have driven two Fords, two GMC's and one Dodge in the last couple of weeks.

Dodge is a nice truck, just cannot get a straight answer as to the full 4-door version of the 3500. Hearing goods things, my uncle bought one and is pulling a 40 foot enclosed trailer with a trailer weight of 20,000 lbs. He has always been a Ford guy and still has a 1994 F-250 with Power Stroke, but the Dodge had the best price and warranty. He is very pleased. The engine is just Too loud for me and I want 4 full size doors.

Ford is very nice. Probably the most proven and dependable out there, I think it rides far better than the Dodge or GMC empty and on rough pavement. The price is right and the warranty is good. It will probably be my next truck, just hate to buy one that will be redesigned in 2004 with an even better engine. The Ford is also in my opinion much quieter inside with the windows up than the other two. Best mirrors by far and nicest factory wheels.
Lariat package, LOADED list $43,210.00, best price to date $36,999 + Tax & Tag which includes a $1000 rebate.

The GMC has one GREAT advantage over the other two and that is the Allision. That thing is slicker than owl ****. The interior of the GMC is very nice, the wheels SUCK, the plastic bed sides are OK I guess, and I found it to be much easier to drive, turn in tight spaces and park. More nimbal than the other two in my opinion.
They claim it is the most quiet, but I thought it was louder than the Ford. The big down side is the price. With the same basic equipment it lists for almost $4000 more than the Ford.

The owner of the local GMC dealership and the service manager both have told me that GM does not want anything negative said about this engine/trans/truck combo. They are to report any and every problem direct to the factory immediately. As for the engine, they tell me that they are NOT to go into it at all. If there is any problem they are sent a complete new engine and they return the bad one for GM/Volvo to break down and find the reason of failure so they can prevent it from happening on others and keep the customer happy and a good name on the street for the Duramax. So far my dealer has sold only six duramax's and has had only one failure and it was with the Allision transmission. They put a new one in the next day under warranty.

I believe the Duramax will prove to be a good engine and I do think you will receive ass kissing service on it.

But for my money I think Ford is the best all around value out there. All three dealerships say that the new Dodge will have a Mercedes engine! Who knows for sure?

Quick Reply: Warranty Issues New Duramax Diesel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.