Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poker Run Orgs/ Boat Builders need YOUR input. >

Poker Run Orgs/ Boat Builders need YOUR input.

Notices

Poker Run Orgs/ Boat Builders need YOUR input.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim G.
Yes, I wanted to attend

Promoters always give me the "such an opportunity" speech when trying to get us to be involved...
So, I tried a different approach to them.... None of which accepted.... You say it's a great opportunity for success? ... You want $5,000? How about this.... I'll pay $1000. You give me free reign to promote our boats... And If I sell a boat from the event.... I'll send you $10k.... This is playing your cards, right? None have taken me up on the offer....
We also make our decision to sponsor based on the entries. I have been given grossly incorrect boat entry counts by promoters...as "bait"...I sponsored one recent event that wound up costing me $400 per boat entered! I would have got more recognition if I just walked the dock and handed each boat owner a fist full of money!

Sponsorship costs are so high that it makes it difficult for companies to sponsor the event.
Comment:

Interesting view point! I just don't understand how a promoter is going to know if you signed a deal as a result of their event. You are right on point with the bait by numbers...made me laugh....they inflate the boat numbers to get you to bite.

As you know most don't sign the deal at the event or show it usually comes weeks if not months after when people organize their ideas and pocket books. Thus, your proposal won't work as presented.

This is why a Street Fair is so nice...as a builder you pay a flat fee based on how many boats you bring to the event. If you bring three boats models it would be $3k. If you brought one it would be 1k add a booth for $500 more... and you get what you want.... free reign to sell boats with no entanglements. This is vastly different from being a sponsor your basically a vendor buying space....better value for the buck.

This is also appealing to the promoter because it is very little work to just sell you a slot on the street....ie...no cost to them. Plus, when you have a mile long street fair it can mean a boat load of extra cash for the event overall...win/win for everyone.

Lastly, boat shows are a dying venue out west. The Los Angeles boat show is no longer the venue of choice. What will soon replace it is... the Street Fair...Boat show during Desert Storm. All the West Coast builders are present and understand exposure to products is related to foot traffic and overall numbers. Thus, having 10,000 people walk by your booth and boats translates into future sales.

KAP
Old 10-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Tim i would have taken a negotiated version of that deal in a heart beat back when we were putting on SOTW
I know Marc... times were better back then and we just moved things along...
The promoters need to work on some additional incentives to attract sponsors.

I understand that promoters need to make money....

I went to a small poker run recently where everything was pay as you go... I think that attracted boaters that may have been put off by a run with a higher entry fee.

They had three stops... Stops. Tie up stops. Each restaurant welcomed the boats and the opportunity for the business. Boaters and their guests purchased food and drink at their discretion.... No the promoter did not make money off those purchases... Participants could eat like kings, or pack their own lunch and eat on their boat if they wanted to.... See... broader participant range... good...
There was no dinner included....
Cards were done right when the boats got back to the docks.
Poker was not played, but they did allow you to buy up to 3 more cards at $10 each... I see no problem with this.
Yes, the run was for charity. It also supported local businesses.

There was a raft up at a sand bar for 2 hours when the boats were on the way back to the home dock.

Where they were lacking was in pre-event promotion.... They didn't get the word out well. This is the case with most poker runs...
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

KAP is right on....

I know that tracking the sale and closing the deal can take time after the event, and honesty can be an issue...
It wasn't my intention to have that be the "plan", but merely suggesting that we needed more benefit and for the promoters to lay their "cards" out there too...

How about a deal related to boat attendance... Sponsor pays some upfront, and after the event the list of entries is sent along with the bill for the predetermined program....
Up front fee, X$ for the first 25 boats, X for the next 25, x for the next 25. When the event hits the 100 mark things get better for them...
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

we off free space to venders/buildrs. they bring what they want. even let a nother run set up booth, texas outlaw challange. wish more would take the offer!

the times of nickle and diming are OVER.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

This is all the kind of feedback that can help. Thanks to all that are offering their thoughts.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tim G.
KAP is right on....

I know that tracking the sale and closing the deal can take time after the event, and honesty can be an issue...
It wasn't my intention to have that be the "plan", but merely suggesting that we needed more benefit and for the promoters to lay their "cards" out there too...

How about a deal related to boat attendance... Sponsor pays some upfront, and after the event the list of entries is sent along with the bill for the predetermined program....
Up front fee, X$ for the first 25 boats, X for the next 25, x for the next 25. When the event hits the 100 mark things get better for them...
Thanks Kap, for pointing out some of the things we do get right out here in Arizona. Many of the suggestions here we have implemented all along and may be what helps the Desert Storm and Monster Bash events buck the trend and grow. We post actual attendance info, and try to treat the sponsors with care, catering to their needs. Then we try and keep the entry price as low as possible and consider the first time participants. No one will get it all right, but we keep trying.

For 2012 we have a full week of activiites planned, starting with the Lake Havasu Boat show, water ski racing, Performance boat Magazine Tests,manufactures fun run, Charity Children and Family Boat rides with auction, Downtown Street Party and Show, Poker Run, and Shootout.

Check out the photos, videos and info for our events at www.Lakeracer.com

Jim

Last edited by jdnichols; 10-21-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Registered

Some interesting views on both sides -
I know for Patriot Poker Run, it is pretty much year round planning. Securing sites at least 6 months in advance. Guessing on how many goody bags, shirts & what size to order 30 days before the event. Guessing on how many people will participate so we can have food for breakfast, lunch & buffet dinner. Along with deposits for bands, paying for shirts, food deposits, things can get expensive quick.
So we offer discounts for early registraition, to try and get some money in to help with expenses prior to the date. Due to serving food at all stops, registraition is good for 2 people, if others riding on the boats want to come in to party areas they pay $25 per person for the events.
Have 2 filming events scheduled during the day - one in the very beginning, one right after the lunch stop. Along with video along the event. After lunch & photo shoot a raft up at the beach with music from motor yacht
We deal every participant a 7 card hand due to we feel that it is a donation and some may have a valid reason (break down etc) for not being able to make the stops. Cards are dealt from a shoe to eliminate people switching envelopes around to get better hands - i think this has become standard on poker runs. We limit 3 extra cards.
For the buffet, we have some donations from individuals, caterers, along with purchases from caterers, then we either cook, or have others cook for a couple of weeks in advance for the spread.
It is like putting on a wedding reception, putting it on facebook or oso,etc and having no idea how many people if any will show up.
So it is interesting at times when people want to sign up that morning, wonder why you don't have there shirt size available any more, arrive at the final party a few hours late and wonder where is all the food? So we order pizza to accomodate, not exactly what they would have gotten if arrived when the party started.
It would be so much easier taking $xxx for a donation and tell them see you at 4pm & i will deal you a hand and have a band play for a few hours.
Lets not forget about the hours of posting pictures on the website, then watching, helping edit the video for 90 days afterwards
I have not had any luck in getting local media to help promote, open to suggestions on that.
I truly enjoy putting the event on other wise I would have given it up a long time ago.
thanks
craig