Who is Still making a non stepped hull? >

Who is Still making a non stepped hull?

Notices

Who is Still making a non stepped hull?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
No offense to anyone on the board but I will never ride in a 26 sutphen in 5 foot seas

NK
Why, I've seen a 31 Sutphen run right through that and more where others had to turn around fearing for their life's!

Wait, or was it the other way around???
Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Why, I've seen a 31 Sutphen run right through that and more where others had to turn around fearing for their life's!

Wait, or was it the other way around???
Must of been the driver!!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benjen
I have never posted before largely because of this type of discussion. Who's the best? I didn't say that, I meant this! Geeeez, give me a break. The point being made by ol40svx and boxer is that Sutphen has proven it can run in some pretty nasty stuff. I have owned a 30' Sutphen and have been out in seas I should not have been out in. I am thankfull I was in a Sutphen. For lack of another way of saying it "a Sutphen takes care of you". They come off waves and land straight. I know that comment will bring more negative comments, but so be it. With that said I presently own a 1992 39' Sutphen. It is a production pleasure boat and I am just an everyday driver. I can tell you right now I will go out in any water that nauti kitty or whoever will go out in. Apples to apples power wise I am sure I will keep up.
It looks like most of the guys posting here have been around the lake a couple times. I know NK has owned and run hard most of the boats mentioned a few Cigs, Tiger included, Sutphen, Saber an MANY more. There's nothing better to watch than the lone NK playing off the end of the pier head in the big stuff. To say one of these deep Vees is head and shoulders above the rest is quite a statment. It has more to do with the captain and his respect for his passengers. One question, I'm sure it's been discussed but, are 10ft waves followed by 20ft holes?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by spk1
Great information , I am not sure he wants a new boat built, however I have started pushing the idea of Richies Red Sutphen, He builds a quality rig. we are still in the beginning stages of the search, so the options are open.
If anybody has a nice pre-owned straight bottom rig, 30-35 with twins, that they want me to run by him, please dont hesitate, nothing would make me happier than to help a fellow osoer, and my client at the same time.
If he doesnt want new, why not a older clean formula non fastec? Nice boats, interiors, solid tanks. with so many different packages available to suit almost everyones needs.
But further more if he doesnt want new whats the point of this thread?
theres plenty of used older model non stepped options that are updated and good to go.
MD

Last edited by scarab63; 10-19-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boxer
I have been in Walters 38 during a poker run and came upon 3 to 5 ft confussed water. We were running at 105 with a 42 Cig with 1200's, 40 ft OL with 1200's and a 35' cat . We pulled away from them like they were standing still. He all but lapped the competition at Orange Beach this year. Last year at Atlantic City, Pete Nopper and I went out to test in 8 to 10 ft seas on Saturday. We easily ran our speed limit of 70 mph in that slop. The race was cancelled the next day because the seas were in the 15 ft range. A comment made by a fellow racer was" the only boats that were allowed to race that day were Sutphens. The race was cancelled by the Coast guard
Based on that I can't believe Sutphen isn't selling more boats, or that everyone else wasn't forced out of business a long time ago!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of great boats mentioned here. It may help your customer if he took a ride in a stepped hull with someone who knows how to drive a stepped boat. If he is not going to race it then chances are he is not going to make any hard turns, so the stepped hull issues may be moot. As for straight hulls and performance, look back to the old APBA Factory 2 days, (stock hull/identical power). Velocity hulls are fast in good water, but will BEAT you in anything more than 3' chop. The Active Thunder, Pantera, Sutphen, Cigarette, and Powerplay hulls have won ALOT of races. That speaks for their speed as well as their build quality. I also wouldn't count out a 32 Sunsation as a well built boat that runs good.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

There's a 33 PP in the swap section, it is complete but needs to be put back together. I know the owner wants it gone and if it can be bought right it would be a fantastic choice.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boxer
The best running rough water straitbottom Vhull is the Sutphen. .
Benjen
This is a little stronger proclamation than you are referring to in your post Ol said something similarily emphatic. That is my issue with their comments I can appreciate that you think your Sutphen is fast, safe and rides good. I can appreciate that you think you can keep up with anyone with similar power. I most appreciate however that you didnt say your boat is the best rough water boat ever even if you think that.
I have yet to make a negative comment on anyones rough water handeling here just questioning the defacto statements made by some people on this board
NK

Last edited by Nauti Kitty; 10-19-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered

Based on that I can't believe Sutphen isn't selling more boats, or that everyone else wasn't forced out of business a long time ago!!!
No Chit

Aparently, as has been discussed ad naseum before on the board, Boxer's 15 waves must be a bit different than Lake Michigan 15 seas. Last Wednesday the US Coast Guard took their 41' Patrol Boat out the channel in Grand Haven Michigan to train in 15' seas and they were unable to get out past the pier into the lake. Sounds like they should have bought a Sutphen?

NK
Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some manufactures were able to anticipate the turn down in the economy and therefore not over build and get behind the eight ball so to speak. Also
ritchie is more of a custom boat builder, unlike many other brands. I can personally say that where we boat in Mass. we have some pretty nasty water, and the only boat I would rather have tnan my 33 Sutphen would be a39 Sutphen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.