Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who is Still making a non stepped hull? >

Who is Still making a non stepped hull?

Notices

Who is Still making a non stepped hull?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know what kind of boat that yellow one was in the freeze frame video from years ago that Panther posted. Thats a pretty famous vid but I never heard who the manufacturer was.

NK
Old 11-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
reread my post
I said that vbottom race boats running today are not going over 80-90 in big water, if there is any, so "topping out" is not the point I made. 90 is 90 in any boat so I dont care how fast it runs on some river, the forces are exactly the same on an OL as these Apaches in large waves going 90. So far the only "silly" video I saw posted, of which none are mine, showed an OL blowing up in waves that another 20 year old video shows an Apache running the same if not greater speeds and not going under and coming apart.
Are you saying "kinetic forces" are now much stronger then 20 years ago?
With the videos in this thread of OL's spinning out and blowing apart I can certainly understand why you dont give "two ****s" about these videos Ed posted.
Perhaps everyone else reading this thread about straight vbottoms likes them? Just sayn

NK
Parnell, you seem to be going out of your way to create an argument where there's nothing really to agree about. Go ahead and twist my words or make your point anyway you want... I honestly have zero vested interest in OL, Apache, or any other brand, nor do I really care how fast a boat was going in any of these videos. I throughly enjoy watching these videos (especially in the off season), but that's about all I see them as... entertainment. If a boat spins, blows apart, etc, as long as nobody gets hurt I love watching it, regardless of brand! But again, I just see it as entertainment. I have no real way of measuring water conditions, boat speeds, cornering g's, etc. If you do, you're no doubt a better man than I. I'm not about to join in on the bench racing since there's no way to really quantify anything in these videos... But I do completely enjoy watching the videos so please feel free to post all the videos and examples you'd like, doesn't matter to me if they are Saber videos, Sutphen videos, Cig videos, etc... I'll enjoy it. Please continue on!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
... I honestly have zero vested interest in OL, Apache, or any other brand, nor do I really care how fast a boat was going in any of these videos. I throughly enjoy watching these videos (especially in the off season), but that's about all I see them as... entertainment. If a boat spins, blows apart, etc, as long as nobody gets hurt I love watching it, regardless of brand! But again, I just see it as entertainment. I have no real way of measuring water conditions, boat speeds, cornering g's, etc. If you do, you're no doubt a better man than I. I'm not about to join in on the bench racing since there's no way to really quantify anything in these videos... But I do completely enjoy watching the videos so please feel free to post all the videos and examples you'd like, doesn't matter to me if they are Saber videos, Sutphen videos, Cig videos, etc... I'll enjoy it. Please continue on!
Aggree with everything here.

NK
Old 11-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SS930
Do you have reading comprehension issues? Where did I say any boat blew apart at any speed? Did I mention OL anywhere in my post? Please dont twist my words.

My point (since physics and comprehension aren't your strengths) is that all things being equal, a boat traveling at 80mph will have far less kinetic energy than the same traveling at 130mph. So on some type of impact (say a stuff) obviously the forces will be much greater at higher speeds. If a boat is only capable of say 80 mph and an identical boat is capable of speeds of say 130mph, the chances of seeing failure is far greater with the boat capable of running faster (all things being equal).

With that said, water is dynamic and it is nearly impossible to recreate the conditions that cause a failure as there a a lot of factors that would need to be duplicated to compare one hull/impact to another and the all the factors can't be easily measured or even be recreated. You basically cant do it, and you certainly can't do it based off 20 year old low res you tube videos! If you wanted to test and compare hull strength you'd pretty much have to completely standardize all the factors and while monitoring with load cells and working to failure. Obviously this would be destructive testing and nobody is going to spend (waste) the money to do such a test.

I certainly haven't done any testing on hull strength, but I would argue that the carbon/epoxy layups of these newer OL are far stronger pound for pound compared to our old resin buckets. In fact, there are far more rigid (less flex) as well. Obviously they could be laid up so lightly that strength can be in question, but comparing the layup schedules, all things being equal, the epoxy boats will be far, far, far stronger and more rigid.

See my post above, again I did not say anything about any 20 year race videos (nor do I give two shlts about them) or one brand or another... Reread my post. Saying a boat that tops out at 80 mph is stronger than a boat that is capable of much higher speeds is just silly... especially when you're using 20 year old you tube videos as your standard to gage the energy created on impact. IMO, you simply can not compare or recreate forces generated based on these silly videos you guys keep referencing. Every impact is different and as speed increases so do the potential forces of that impact.

Now continue on with your 20 year old you tube video bench racing...
LOl!!!
Yeah..you're pissed that potato chip crumbled! Now go sit in your ostrich skinned cabin & have a glass of whine with your pinky up!! Why don''t you put a chandelier in there? Don Aronow tribute edition OL my azz!!!!!! Lol!!!!!!

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 11-09-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

This thread should be canned in light of recent events with big thunder, this is true poor taste as I said 4 pages ago...
Old 11-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

This thread should be kept as a sticky in the OL section.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

non of our performance boats can handle the real rough stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ASv...eature=related
Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
This thread should be kept as a sticky in the OL section.
The fact you just stated this, just reflected the kind of respect you have for this sport. Go on posting your apache vids and having no respect for those pushing the envelope...
Old 11-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by madhatter42
The fact you just stated this, just reflected the kind of respect you have for this sport. Go on posting your apache vids and having no respect for those pushing the envelope...
You say you came on this thread for fun......but, you really came on this thread to jack up your self image. Well guess what? It didn't work!!!! Some people need tribute editions! LOL!
Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
You say you came on this thread for fun......but, you really came on this thread to jack up your self image. Well guess what? It didn't work!!!! Some people need tribute editions! LOL!
Are you kidding? That has NOTHING to do what I just said...

You keep plugging this....

Do not comment on my self image. I don't care about an online image unlike you apparently. Don't make statements like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.