Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Because the waves were Bigger back then ;) >

Because the waves were Bigger back then ;)

Notices

Because the waves were Bigger back then ;)

Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waves only seemed bigger back then because theboats were smaller
Old 10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Offshore Dreamer
Did you come up with this thought or is it from somwhere else? I think its very accurate and hits home! Thanks! Great job
Yes. It's mine. Thanks. It was part of a long-winded rant I was working on for another recent thread, but in the end I rescinded my post as I pondered "what's the point?"...arguing with stubbornness and arrogance would be futile. You know, new tricks, old dog...or something like that.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Yes. It's mine. Thanks. It was part of a long-winded rant I was working on for another recent thread, but in the end I rescinded my post as I pondered "what's the point?"...arguing with stubbornness and arrogance would be futile. You know, new tricks, old dog...or something like that.
You hit it right on the money here. Ive typed ALOT of responces in the past, and then scrapped the whole post after re-reading.... because I realized I was waisting my time........
Old 10-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
There are those of us who write the future
Can you direct me to how you are "writing the future"... I like keeping up with current events, it gets boring here at the old folks home.

I get the user MissGeicoRacing and what they are doing (most impressive guys), but I haven't heard of anyone named CigDaze in a 35 Cafe Racer making the racing news, or doing anything to "write the future" of Offshore Racing...

FWIW, I am a big CIG fan and don't want to miss chit about someone in a CIG being one of the people who write the future of Offshore Racing.

FYI, I am being serious, I am new here and haven't heard of you or your accomplishments in the Offshore Racing World. Been trying to catch up with this new world of Offshore and haven't heard CigDaze mentioned so I mean no disrespect.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Waves only seemed bigger back then because theboats were smaller
Actually that is very true... when you think of some of the races from the old days of Offshore racing with guys in a 19' boat.....pretty SCARY by today's standards!

IIRC, Mr. Aronow won the Miami to Nassau race in a Formula 233...Could you imagine that today??....NO fracking way!

"We've come a Looonnngggg way Baby"....especially in hull length!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"There are those of us who write the future"

"of us" is used in the context of "performance boaters"......not himself specifically. In fact, you could replace one set of words for the other if it makes it more clear for you.

Glad to be of help, and enjoy the old folks home!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
"There are those of us who write the future"

"of us" is used in the context of "performance boaters"......not himself specifically. In fact, you could replace one set of words for the other if it makes it more clear for you.

Glad to be of help, and enjoy the old folks home!
Thanks for the translation...I thought this thread was about old vs new Offshore Racing and Big Waves.

My Bad, I will ask the orderly to adjust my Geritol Dose in hopes of better brain cognitive function..

Cheers,

Dave
Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesus, what year did Don win Miami Nassau in a 23 Formula?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Jesus, what year did Don win Miami Nassau in a 23 Formula?
Jesus, I got my butt kicked between Miami and freakin' Bimini in a 38 Formula.

But butts were bigger and tougher back then.

Funny thread.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrote a story several years ago for Hot Boat magazine (One of several rags that I was able to put out of business) about the dawn of OCEAN powerboat racing: The opening line was "The original batch of modern day offshore racers was a rough group. Tobacco stained teeth missing, tattooed, hairy, muscles bulging, scraggly beards, brawling, nasty, cussing, and that was just the women!

Bear in mind that neither the Bikini nor the racing jump suit had been invented at that point. Racing uniforms were usually bear skins, and in Odell Lewis's case, the bear was still in it! My first raceboat was a hollowed out missionary.... but I ramble. THE AVERAGE WAVE HEIGHT IN THE 1956 NASSAU RACE WAS 133 FEET, AND THAT WAS IN THE FLATS! If you don't believe me, ask Sammy James.

Last edited by BROWNIE; 10-21-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.