Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Because the waves were Bigger back then ;) >

Because the waves were Bigger back then ;)

Notices

Because the waves were Bigger back then ;)

Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Can you direct me to how you are "writing the future"... I like keeping up with current events, it gets boring here at the old folks home.

I get the user MissGeicoRacing and what they are doing (most impressive guys), but I haven't heard of anyone named CigDaze in a 35 Cafe Racer making the racing news, or doing anything to "write the future" of Offshore Racing...

FWIW, I am a big CIG fan and don't want to miss chit about someone in a CIG being one of the people who write the future of Offshore Racing.

FYI, I am being serious, I am new here and haven't heard of you or your accomplishments in the Offshore Racing World. Been trying to catch up with this new world of Offshore and haven't heard CigDaze mentioned so I mean no disrespect.

Cheers,

Dave
Actually Dave, based on the disingenuous intonation I sense in your post I somehow disbelieve your claims of meaning no disrespect. That notwithstanding, I'm fine with that so I suppose I'll go ahead and dignify you with a reply anyway.

"Us," as it so happens to be defined as a plural pronoun - in being of or within a first-person collective and used to denote oneself and another or others - was in reference to the general membership here at OSO; a membership to which I (and you) belong. Hence, the "us" and "we." There are those of "us," in this membership who do participate and write the future by way of doing what they do today (despite the denigration they face from their grumpy, and often times grumbling, predecessors). It was never intended to imply that it is I personally who am making offshore headlines, it was instead meant in defense of, and as a compliment, to those of "us" here who battle it out today in modern times in modern, cutting-edge equipment instead of just sitting around listening to stories of yester-lore.

I'm sorry if this simple concept was lost on you. For that I apologize.

Clearly, you and I (and the thread started) know exactly what this is all about (as is quite evident by the title of this thread). I say that it's clear because of your recent commentary to some other recent commentary, where you humbly provided your opinion in support of previously mention recent commentary.

With all that being said, please don't let all this wad up your panties. I wouldn't want to unduly burden the nurses at the old folks home.

Have a nice day and cheers,
Nick.

Last edited by CigDaze; 10-21-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Now that I am in the right frame of mind.....

Waves whether at sea or inland waterways measured from peak to trough vary BUT no matter what a measurement is a measurement so with that being said rough phucking water is rough phucking water the difference between history and future is length and stamina....kind of luck the youngster getting his first piece of tail and the player getting his first piece of tail for the evening with several more awaiting....hold on need to get right...
Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
I wrote a story several years ago for Hot Boat magazine (One of several rags that I was able to put out of business) about the dawn of OCEAN powerboat racing: The opening line was "The original batch of modern day offshore racers was a rough group. Tobacco stained teeth missing, tattooed, hairy, muscles bulging, scraggly beards, brawling, nasty, cussing, and that was just the women!

Bear in mind that neither the Bikini nor the racing jump suit had been invented at that point. Racing uniforms were usually bear skins, and in Odell Lewis's case, the bear was still in it! My first raceboat was a hollowed out missionary.... but I ramble. THE AVERAGE WAVE HEIGHT IN THE 1956 NASSAU RACE WAS 133 FEET, AND THAT WAS IN THE FLATS! If you don't believe me, ask Sammy James.
Hmmmm..Have they changed all that much? I've thrown in some pics of the "old bears" ....btw Odel's still got that bear and he's trying to pawn it off on us......we want nothing to do with it.
Attached Thumbnails Because the waves were Bigger back then ;)-cox_sbi2011mci4470.jpg   Because the waves were Bigger back then ;)-guys_0497-copy.jpg  

Last edited by MissGeicoRacing; 10-21-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:06 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

ok now in reference to the photos great job gents and to my boys MD and Lance you were off the hook......Now I know I am going to take my licks for this next comment so blame it on the bong..... That's just a taste of offshore at its best......Sunny Isles is a true offshore race but usually is run very favorable conditions.....Key West using the old course was a true offshore race.....San Francisco outside the Golden Gate is another one as well as Ventura, Huntington Beach, Cocoa Beach, Pt Pleasant, and Lake Michigan along with many others.......and to the gents that ran those courses for the distance they ran them "Gladiators I salute you"...... so back to the original point if there even is a point......hold on need to take a break
Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

I guess the point is that EVOLUTION has taken its course in offshore racing and no matter if you race long or short rough phucking water is rough phucking water....God I need some coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go easy on the pipe, Stinson. We need you around for a few more years.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Go easy on the pipe, Stinson. We need you around for a few more years.
Just trying to give US some laughs this morning!!!!!!! Now that I have a cup of coffee in me!!!! I offer the following!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank goodness the guys that "don't know how to cope with the expiration of their relevance"..didn't waste their lives making 100,000,000 posts on a web forum, and occasionally ran in a Poker Run....to write their future. They actually went out and did something, instead of just talking/posting about it.:-)

Show some respect for those guys for a change, they earned it for real...They created Offshore with broken limbs and some with their lives. Funny, if it wasn't for them we wouldn't even have this web forum to spend all our time "writing the future"....one post at a time :-)

Trust me, I am all for the future, but not a future that doesn't show the least bit of respect for the accomplishments of those in the past.

IF it wasn't for the those that as you say "are sadly relegated to languishing in the dismal past." you might be doing Poker Runs in a wooden row boat with oars!

Live for the future, BUT celebrate the past!

Back to the Topic....Maybe the waves were bigger back then, or maybe they weren't...but the balls certainly were. :-)

No Cozy enclosed fighter cockpits, no harnesss (and sometimes no helmets)....just big balls!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1cd5k9ZF3w[/youtube]

Cheers,

Dave
Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Probably not...there was sometimes just a heck of a lot more of them in a row, for much greater distances, when racing truly "Offshore". :-)

Of course in reality, the "waves" everyone discusses here aren't really "WAVES"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ASvFEmMuk

Regardless, GREAT PICS and THANKS for sharing!!
Am I the only one that wonders who was SHOOTING that video?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.