Notices

SE FL - Bahamas.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder

Is your boat a twin or single engine ? If a single I would not do it alone under any circumstances.

Bob
+1 on this, multiple engine boat or go in a group
Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts
Default I think....

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
$150 for under 35 feet.
that gets you in twice within a 90 day period.
When the Bahamian government came up w/that law the rates were double. Tons of people protested and threatened to boycot their islands though and they cut it in half.
Still sucks. What percentage go back within 90 days? 1 or 2%?
So it's still a buck and a half an itty bitty boat like mine for one freagin weekend.
I think you are also limited to number of people you can claim per boat.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Bling Bling
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
that gets you in twice within a 90 day period.
When the Bahamian government came up w/that law the rates were double. Tons of people protested and threatened to boycot their islands though and they cut it in half.
Still sucks. What percentage go back within 90 days? 1 or 2%?
So it's still a buck and a half an itty bitty boat like mine for one freagin weekend.
I think you are also limited to number of people you can claim per boat.
I have done the crossing from Miami-Lauderdale to Grand Bahama and Bimini 8 times in the last 2.5 years. All info stated above is a must. All times I went over I never went with another boat, luckly I have had no issues, 3 Verado Mercury outboard. A few times we turned back due to the weather. If this is your first time I would strongly suggest just going to the Biminis. In this area there is littlle islands you can explore all day, the water is beautiful, and it's only 56 miles.

Make it to Gun Cay, on one side you can feed the rays and then walk 100' and snorkle a great reef. Walk another 100' on the flip side and dive for huge Conk. I had a local there about a year ago show me how to get the Conk out clean it on the beach and with a little lime juice and jalapeno slices eat it fresh on the beach, best Conk I ever had.

I always stay at the Bimini bay resort. Love that place but it can be pricey. If you decide to stay there here's a tip. Go to VRBO and you will find some owners that rent for 2/3 the cost of going through the resort. The person I rent my 4 bedroom 3 bath from comes with a dock right behind the rental and a golf cart. The golf cart is key, you for sure want to go into town. Great places to eat and some fun little bars. There is a pizza place in town best pizza in the world. As your about half way through town look to your bay side and you will see an old wooden shack style bar that sticks out a bit on the water with a huge pile of Conk shells next to it. Play dominoes with the locals and drink there 32.5 degree beer, had some fun nights in that place. I could go on but if you planning Biminis pm me and I will give you more info.

Grand Bahama is nice and I was very surprised at how nice the some of the beaches are, but do Biminis first. If you ever want to get the best Island info listen to Bobthebuilder. That guy is my Island hoper Idol. His Island trips are making me want to retire alot faster. One more thing, for sure do the LBO program.