Latham hydraulic line broken, need help >

Latham hydraulic line broken, need help

Notices

Latham hydraulic line broken, need help

Old 10-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latham hydraulic line broken, need help

The fitting rotted away, luckily at the dock. I am going to install the new hose today but have some questions. Do I have to bleed the system, as it might be dry now? Or is it self bleeding? Also, do I use regular power steering fluid? Thanks. t
Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I used either PS fluid, or Merc's stuff (over-priced). The system should bleed itself. Connect everything. Fill the reservoir and fire it up. Turn the wheel "lock to lock" a few times while watching the reservoir level.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by brian18330
The fitting rotted away, luckily at the dock. I am going to install the new hose today but have some questions. Do I have to bleed the system, as it might be dry now? Or is it self bleeding? Also, do I use regular power steering fluid? Thanks. t
When mine broke I called Latham for a replacement and they told me how to bleed the system too. I don't remember now but it was kind of a pain in the rear.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Take belt off power steering pump belt use a 1/2 in drill with a hex socket to spin the pump. makes talking to person bleeding the rams easier. While spining the pump turn wheel to lock on one side then bleed lines on rams. loosen ends closest to the piston. when ram extended hose out by the ram when ram retracted hose away from ram end. then turn wheel other way and do same, repeat untill no air.

Last edited by KWright; 10-21-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don' t get all the air the system fluid will be pushed out of the fill can as the remaining air is forced out. So make sure you have some rags and extra fluid when you take the boat on the water. Its nothing to be concerned about just messy.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Use ATF. The system should self bleed when you turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times and keep adding the ATF as you go.