Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sea Strainers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26450-sea-strainers.html)

NEVRENUFF 06-12-2002 06:30 PM

Sea Strainers

Just bought a Marine Machine sea strainer and what a nice piece!

I'm getting ready to mount and plumb it up but wanted to verify connections (no instructions or labeled ports).

I would have figured that the window would allow you to look into it to see of there was junk on inlet side clogging the screen but the ports don't seem to look like that is the case.

I purchased one for Starboard side mounting and it appears as though the inlet of the strainer is the side below the screen. I figured this because the extra fitting (supposedly for an intercooler) is common to the fitting above the screen (window side). So I'm assuming that this is the "strained" side. It just seemed to be odd that the window would not be on the upstream side. I also figured that the tangential fitting would be the inlet side so it would sweep the screen. This fitting is also on the window side. Is the spare port on the un-strained side?

Anyone have one installed that can enlighten me? Is there a desired orientation? I'm guessing that the window faces up. I'm feeling kind of dumb about this but this is my first venture into performance I/O's

I'm planning to plumb it inline before the raw water pump on the starboard side.

Any input would be great!

thanks!

SteveDavid 06-13-2002 01:29 AM

Hi,

Mine are MM as well. They are in line between the raw water source (outdrive) and the raw water pump. The inlet is above the screen, and the outlet is below the screen. Mine have the clear plastic top, large o ring seal and single knob for lockdown.

Hope this helps,

Steve

NEVRENUFF 06-13-2002 07:32 AM

Thanks Steve,

I figured it out last night. The strainer is designed to mount to the stringer on the starboard side. For my application, there is not enough room down on the stringer and I have to mount it 180 degrees which flips the port orientation.

I still have not figured out what the spare port on the inlet side is for though.

thanks again
Paul

Tonto 06-13-2002 10:44 AM

NEVRENUFF
Steve is right, as always, the raw water comes in the strainer above the screen to filter the water before it goes to the raw water pump. This allows you to pull the screen out with all the trash on it to clean it. You want to be sucking the water out the bottom of the strainer so it gives you a resevoir for the raw water pump when the boat comes out of the water when going off a wave. My guess on the "extra" fitting" on the stainer above the screen is for a "fresh water" flush. Where you can plumb in a line to hook up a garden hose to flush the engine. If you plumb in the fresh water flush you will need to put cut-off valves on both the raw water hose from the drive/hull and the fresh water hose so you are only running on one or the other at a time. Hope this helps :)

Steve David
I hear congradulations are in order :D . Sorry I have not gotten in touch sooner. I hope all is well with you and Sabrina and looking forward to seeing you soon.

Robert

NEVRENUFF 06-13-2002 07:04 PM

Thanks Robert,

You must be right on the spare fitting. I'm off to do the installation and plumbing! I run fresh water so I won't be installing isolation valves.

take care!.....and congratulations to SteveDavid too for what ever its for!

Paul

SteveDavid 06-14-2002 12:05 AM

Rich, I thought we had you cured of that :)

Robert, thanks buddy. After 4 years it seemed we were either going to get married or stare at each other for a long, long time........ I'm blessed by her presence, she's got wonderful parents, my daughter Loves her, and all of them like Boating!

I think maybe, the second time around we're a bit wiser, a bit slower to pull the trigger, and patient with ourselves.;)

Nevrenuff: Robert has a good suggestion for you on a shut off valve. Even if you never need to isolate for fresh water flushing, it's a good idea to install a shutoff between your raw water source and the strainer. In so doing, if you need to clean out the strainer while you're in the water, you can shut off the raw water supply, and not have water pouring out from the strainer while you rush to clean it and put it back together. Alternatively you could mount the strainer above the water pick up parallel. However, in so doing you risk burning up impellers on start up. If you're running the plastic Merc raw water pump, it only needs a second or two without water to fry itself.

Good luck, have a great time boating!!!

Steve