Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best all around boat around 30' >

Best all around boat around 30'

Notices

Best all around boat around 30'

Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

all around for the money I'd go baja. But if I had your budget I would go fountain then formula in that order.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:38 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Superboat Y2k......
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The 30 foot-ish range is massive. Between 28 and 32 feet you can get totally different boats.

A 28 Donzi ZX for example is a great boat. Efficient, takes rough water well, easy to tow. But (just as one example) to compare it to a 30 ft. Cig... you aren't in the same zip code. The Cig will take water better but needs big blocks to push it. you need a bigger tow rig and more $$ for fuel.

So... you gotta narrow it down to some degree.

The formula 292 and Donzi 28 ZX and Sunsation 288 are all about the same size and in the same competition zone. That would be on the smaller end of the scale.

On the bigger end, anything is possible.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Thanks ... - and radar!

UD
Thats right, with radar you can see things gps won't.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Registered

Well I notice that you are trying to stay "economical" so i would suggest mabey going with something older? like a 311 sr1 Formula, or a 32 pachanga.... good boats that are bottomed out on price... both boats are cheap to buy, and they look alot newer than they are. But back to your range. If you are not super loyal to a boat with cabin, i would look at some newer preformance center consoles, such as baja's fountain's or scarab's.. I really like center consoles, they don't have the really awsome look you get from a true preformance boat like a Cig. but they have the best cockpit layout (all cockpit) that is my theory
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help me out here?

Why would anyone choose to get an assembly line boat (Formula, Sea Ray, Baja) when they can get a custom boat for the same money in the used market.

Not saying factory made boats are bad, but they certainly aren't unique ..."the stickers are red this year" an color you want as long as its white etc.

Just curious what the thought proces is here other than people are recommending a boat they own or used to own.

Uncle Dave
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Just curious what the thought proces is here other than people are recommending a boat they own or used to own.

Uncle Dave
I would guess that those boats are what is familiar to the average boater. I can't count how many times someone has asked me "Superboat?, who makes them?" or "I never heard of them".

I just tell them that they have been in business for nearly 40 yrs. and will still be making boats long after all these large corporations go bankrupt.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Name brand is name brand. To be honest there is a lot of custom stuff out there I just dont like and would rather have the store bought stuff. Also with custom stuff its harder to sometimes fix and find parts.
Agreed if I had his budget I wouldnt be getting a baja or checkmate.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave M
I would guess that those boats are what is familiar to the average boater. I can't count how many times someone has asked me "Superboat?, who makes them?" or "I never heard of them".

I just tell them that they have been in business for nearly 40 yrs. and will still be making boats long after all these large corporations go bankrupt.

Agreed, my pet brand has been in business since the 50's.

Look at what just happened to Donzi and Fountain- some brand names to be sure.

I got into an argument with a guy regarding dozi when I said the guys that built this particular boat we were discussing weren't likely to be around to tell the person how to go about fixing or repairing it. He started with this line about stating "the facts" (without guaranteeing them himself)

...well hoss the fact is that if they were at the time of the thread (doubtfull) they certainly aren't employed by Donzi now. (note: I do not dislike Donzi boats)

As for parts - they all come from a variety of places.
Some assembly line guys flip parts in the middle of a boat from one Mfgr to another because they run out of assembly line b, and pull assembly line C.

Typically the factory stuff uses the el cheapo level componentry to save money. (like plastic combo shifter/throttles) you know- brands like "chin-c."

Brand names are also not a guarantee of quality or problem free construction -

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...k-bonding.html

Although I would say that Formula makes an excellent( but heavy) boat no one is immune from problems.

All this to say I would prefer to deal with a known smaller company ( Sunny, Pantera, Lavey, krypto, superboat, Nordic, etc ) than the "bigger" guys where I'm a number vs a client.

Seeing myself pull up to every dock is the smaller issue.

Uncle Dave
Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

My thought proccess iss. The brand name factory line boats are going to sellcquicker. People will not ask what they are, and they will bottom out in price faster (judging by what I have seen). You know with formula, ssea ray,scarab, Baja etc. you are getting a great boat that people won't have to ask questions about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.