Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any feedback on hardin exhaust???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/264620-any-feedback-hardin-exhaust.html)

scarab63 10-24-2011 06:19 AM

Any feedback on hardin exhaust????

Anyone used the hardin shorty header they make to replace the gil cast manifolds? Looks nice and you can still use your gil tails. How are they???
Thanks, mike d

VetteLT193 10-24-2011 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by scarab63 (Post 3535012)
Anyone used the hardin shorty header they make to replace the gil cast manifolds? Looks nice and you can still use your gil tails. How are they???
Thanks, mike d

They are pricey. Based on looks EMI are a knockoff of gil, you could get those for much less money. If you need a replacement I'd call Eddie Marine and see if they match up.

45Tripps 10-24-2011 02:27 PM

Personally, I would go with CMI's if you have to replace the exhaust, or maybe look at Lightning.

I had Gills on a 42 I had. My brother had EMI's on his 42. My Gills were louder. I like noise, but thats what I noticed. I didnt like the EMI's. Just my observation and opinion. Not knocking either one.

scarab63 10-24-2011 05:46 PM

My gil cast manifolds and tails are still good, ive just been eyeing these hardin tubular header style exhaust that you can bolt gil tails to and I think they look cool, and im sure id get better flow and performance outa them.
MD

Gary864 10-24-2011 05:55 PM

As I understood if your running gill the Hardin are "slightly" better. If you pushing more than 700 hp go with a full header exhaust( CMI) . If under 700 not a noticeable gain from the hardin to the CMI. S If you like the looks of headers and don't want to put out the extra buck and running under about 700 Hardin is the way to go I was told. I was told this by a motor builder so don't shoot the messager.

scarab63 10-24-2011 06:03 PM

Under 700, dont care for the looks of the black gil cast manifolds.
Figured if I sell them while they're still good used, keep my tails, and get the hardins it would be win win.
Header looks, slightly better flow and less $$$ than cmi

Just curious if anybodies used em

MD

bwd 10-24-2011 06:37 PM

I use them.I was in the same boat, the tails were newer but the manifold were done when I repowered. I have no complaints. And yes, easier for plugs and such.

scarab63 10-24-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by bwd (Post 3535701)
I use them.I was in the same boat, the tails were newer but the manifold were done when I repowered. I have no complaints. And yes, easier for plugs and such.

Havent even priced em yet.
$$$$???

sv43BB 10-24-2011 06:47 PM

stainless marine gen 3 are the way to go. make great power and very loud. CMI headers are junk they all leak dont waste ur money.