If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Carb Vs MPI procharger

I built a Prochargered carbed 454 for my boat and now I have the oppurtunity to change over to a complete mercruiser EFI for basically free. Other then then the Dyno ( 615 hp) I have not run the engine in the boat. I was wondering who out there had experience and had any opinions whether the MPI would be better then the carb set up. I am a little worried about the fuel mixture and distribution of the carb set up and want to retain a reliable engine. I really can't afford too many bing explosions.... Also what shops should I talk to regarding this swap? Arizona speed and marine?

There have been many discussions on the board about the challenges of getting the jettting right on a blowthrough carb system. Carbs don't understand air density, so jetting is always a compromise, although Nickerson and Grimes are two tuners who have earned good reputations in this area.

With EFI and a special pressure sensor, it is possible to follow air density changes and theoretically the system should be better, but the programming of the ECM then becomes the issue and there have been many discussions on this board about that too.

People say that EFI is the way to go but the cost stops many of us. If you can get into EFI at no extra cost, more power to you.

If you do this will you have an extra carb box to sell? I am still looking for one to conduct medical research on my improved intercooler configuration.