Notices

Radio cd/ ipod

Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio cd/ ipod

Hi,

I am looking for a marine use radio w/ cd and an ipod jack, with remote controls. What recommendations do any of you have? I also need 4 speakers, what are best; I need close to 6"

Any help would be greatly appreciated-Thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Alpine 9886M head unit. The alpine Transom mount remotes aren't the best as they're wireless and thus have a bit of dealy between input and execution of commands, but the Ipod interface and the sound quality are top notch if the the top notch. Plus the RF wireless floating remote is really handy if you do allot of coving.

Polk MM Speakers, specifically the Ultra Marine or UM variants. All polk speakers are Marine rated, but the UM takes it one step further. They are very durable, sound amazing, are both UV and saltwater rated through ISO exposure tests. I've been a professional Installer for ten years, and between the three installers at my shop we have 45 years of experience. Kicker, Alpine, Jl, Clarion all make great speakers, and I have installed them all; but the Polks are just a cut above. Bazooka Probably makes my second favorite speakers, but not as attractive.

Your also gonna need at least one amp, depending on your battery situation, as well as your listening preferences(what type of music, how long etc.), and available mounting location, will determine what style of amp. Class D is more efficent, but you sacrifice a little sound quality and you pay more for a good class D. AB is gonna sound better, but use more power and take up more space.
The amps I would consider would be JL, Alpine PDXM, Polk, Kicker ZXM or IX. Again depending on where and how your boat is stored, where the equipment is mounted and how well you take care of it, Marine Head unit and amps may not be necessary; however marine speakers allways are a good idea
Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

I run the same alpine waveform metioned above except its not the marine version. i did use all marine speakers though.

if going with the alpine BE AWARE of the model Ipod you plan to use as that unit is not compatible with ALL versions of ipods (gee ask how i know....) one of mine worked (the tiny capacity one, go figure) and my 20gb one did not. download the manual to make sure your model is compatible before buying would be my advice for whatever model hed unit you buy.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
I run the same alpine waveform metioned above except its not the marine version. i did use all marine speakers though.

if going with the alpine BE AWARE of the model Ipod you plan to use as that unit is not compatible with ALL versions of ipods (gee ask how i know....) one of mine worked (the tiny capacity one, go figure) and my 20gb one did not. download the manual to make sure your model is compatible before buying would be my advice for whatever model hed unit you buy.
It depends what generation Ipod you have, anything made within the past four years should work fine, I used my 80gb Classic on my 9886 for two seasons with no problems. I have installed hundreds of Alpines using the KCE-422 and 433 full-speed cable, you really shouldn't have any problems. Also its really easy to just use a Flash drive through the USB input on the back, or even a Laptop hardrive less than 250gb.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replys, the radio is located in the cabin area with no chance of getting dew/ or rain/ wet. Does tha tmean a regular non marine head unit would work?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Should be just fine as long as it doesn't get too damp in there.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Registered

Look at Fusion. Their 600 series docks the Ipod inside and is very user friendly.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kenwood, polk for sure have had tons of others like these best.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Registered

I run the Alpine CDA 118M with about 5200 watts. 1 of the full digital wireless remotes and 2 of the smaller floating remotes.

Great sound. All Kickers amps, component speakers (8), and 4- 10" subs.

Good stuff......

If you want this stuff go to crutchfield.com, they stock all the stuff and were great to deal with.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Registered

One thing to think about is how often do you actually use the radio on a boat? Music yes but the radio? We never listened to it. We are always on our iPod, iheart, or pandora. When installing our new set up I just installed a marine rated pre amp. They have much better eq then a radio and better output voltage so your amps aren't as hot. Just another option to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.