Best all around boat around 30' >

Best all around boat around 30'

Notices

Best all around boat around 30'

Old 10-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best all around boat around 30'

Looking for some opinions from you guys on boats around 30 foot. Gonna spend most of my time boating in south Louisiana on rivers, Lake Maurepas, and Lake Pontchartrain. Looking at the Baja 29 outlaw, 32 Fountain Fever, Sunsation 32, and Formula 292. I have been doing some research, but would like some info from you guys and gals who have some first hand experience on these boats.

So far I really like what I have heard about the Sunsation 32 with small blocks. Seems like it's economical (insurance, gas, price), nice rough water handling, and a top speed that I could live with.

And please don't try to advertise for a boat that you have for sale. Looking for opinions not advertisements... Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

What is your coin spend?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Out of those, I'd go with the small block Sunny as well. There's a couple in the classifieds that look really good and I like them for the same reasons.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

Looking at used and looking to spend between 40 and 60 depending on year, condition, etc..
Old 10-22-2011, 08:27 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a reason you are staying 30' range....Sunsation out of the list is the way to go!!!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered

If you're looking for economical then, rest assured, the boat you buy will be worth exactly what you pay for it or less. There's no free lunch with boats or anything for that matter.

I'm curious how the insurance on a Sunsation with twin small blocks would be economical when any insurance quotes that I've seen are based on whether the boat goes over 46mph or not? I'm sure the Sunsation goes faster than that.

Of the boats that you've mentioned, I've looked at a Formula 292 with twin 6.2 Mercs. I can tell you that when it comes to quality of materials and workmanship that this boat is outstanding and the price reflects it. Again, no free lunch. It's quality or "economical", your decision. Never heard anyone complain about the ride on a Formula, either. This one GPS's in the mid 70's. that's all the information that I can offer.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered

Don't want to go much over 30' because I will be trailering the boat. Correct me if I'm wrong but for where I will be boating, I don't think boat length will be as important as it would be at LOTO.

And I say the small block would be more economical insurance wise compared to the 496 HO's that run mid 80's. I haven't gotten an estimate but I would assume the HO's would raise insurance
Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BajaDream07
Don't want to go much over 30' because I will be trailering the boat. Correct me if I'm wrong but for where I will be boating, I don't think boat length will be as important as it would be at LOTO.

And I say the small block would be more economical insurance wise compared to the 496 HO's that run mid 80's. I haven't gotten an estimate but I would assume the HO's would raise insurance
A Baja 302 or OL33 with 496mag's would also be a good choice. Otherwise, the Sunny is a nice boat. A thing to consider though. A Baja for 60k might be a better deal than a sunny for the same price. The Sunny has a higher price tag when new than the Baja, so it might be in worse shape. I'm not saying it absolutely is like that, just something to be aware of. For comfort and quality, a 292Fastech is hard to beat.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 30 on the tchefuncte and blood river will be fine ponchartrain gets pretty rough sometimes but you will be fine in a Sunsation.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered

Formula is a high quality boat. I love my 292. My next choice would probably be a Sunny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.