Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   GTMM Will Offer Full-Composite Version of 39-footer (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/264842-gtmm-will-offer-full-composite-version-39-footer.html)

Matt Trulio 10-27-2011 04:05 PM

GTMM Will Offer Full-Composite Version of 39-footer

A little more information, http://speedonthewater.com/new-boats...39-footer.html.

pm203 10-27-2011 04:20 PM

Its nice to have the choice.

ssmith76 10-28-2011 07:48 AM

Thanks

Thanks so much for clarify this. We want to build what the customer wants. If anyone has any questions feel free to E-Mail me personally at [email protected]
Scott V. Smith
www.gtmm.com

Matt Trulio 10-28-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 3538025)
Its nice to have the choice.

It is nice to have a choice. And carbon fiber is indeed not for everyone.

ssmith76 10-28-2011 09:14 AM

Carbon

FYI, We will still use Carbon on critical areas on the boats, all Models.

pm203 10-28-2011 10:33 AM

That boat will be real nice minus the canopy. I had looked at the first one @ Martin and did not really care for the canopy. I am sure the new open version will be a nice improvement for those individuals wanting an open cockpit configuration.

CigDaze 10-28-2011 11:52 AM

Unfortunately, a basic concept seems to be lost these days when it comes to composites.

A Composite, by definition, is quite simply a union of two or more materials, typically a fiber or powder and a matrix. Fiberglass/Vinylester is a composite. Carbon Fiber/Epoxy is a composite. Kevlar/phenolic is a composite. Ceramic particles embedded in soft metal (brake pads) is a composite. Hell, even plywood is a composite.

What are they actually referring to with this "optional full-composite lamination schedule???"

"A full-composite boat does not ride as well in the mid-range as a vinylester one."
Really? My fiberglass/vinylester composite boat seems to ride just fine.

Please elaborate.

SS930 10-28-2011 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 3538586)
Unfortunately, a basic concept seems to be lost these days when it comes to composites.

A Composite, by definition, is quite simply a union of two or more materials, typically a fiber or powder and a matrix. Fiberglass/Vinylester is a composite. Carbon Fiber/Epoxy is a composite. Kevlar/phenolic is a composite. Ceramic particles embedded in soft metal (brake pads) is a composite. Hell, even plywood is a composite.

What are they actually referring to with this "optional full-composite lamination schedule???"

"A full-composite boat does not ride as well in the mid-range as a vinylester one."

Please elaborate.

Haha, I was going to post the same before, but since I knew what they were getting at I decided to let it be. :grinser010:

Matt Trulio 10-28-2011 12:53 PM

Please elaborate.

Technically correct, of course, but what builders generally mean when they say "full composite" is epoxy instead of resin and carbon fiber, E-glass, Kevlar and other variants in place of "traditional" fiberglass. But you make a good point, nonetheless.

A perspective on carbon fiber construction from a seat of the pants example: Three years ago, I went from an aluminum mountain bike to a carbon fiber mountain bike. I saved almost four pounds. But the stiff ride of the carbon bike is such that you need to be on your game or it will toss you. It goes exactly where you point it and does not forgive errors.

CIG3 10-28-2011 01:29 PM

Please elaborate.

Good point.

FRP boat layups with polyester resin and "E" fiberglass mat is the standard that most boat builder have used for years. Vinylester resin in being used by many companies these days.

The standard layup with use vinylester resin with a proprietary combination of "e" and "s" mat with kevlar/cabon fiber reinforcement.

The Carbon composite layup will use epoxy and a proprietary combination of "e" and "s" mat with kevlar/cabon fiber reinforcement. This will then be post cured. Much stiffer than standard layup and approx. 300-400 pounds lighter