Notices

Boattrader.com ethics?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's wrong, even though I've never used them for listings. As a consumer, I got the follow up email from them and considered it an annoyance. I thought they must get a cut like Ebay, but if not, WTF? What motive could there be? From either direction, it's a bad practice.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by apollard
I think it's wrong, even though I've never used them for listings. As a consumer, I got the follow up email from them and considered it an annoyance. I thought they must get a cut like Ebay, but if not, WTF? What motive could there be? From either direction, it's a bad practice.

most likely about page clicks, i doubt they could care less about your boat selling. If they forward six more boats in you direction thats six more pages you just brought up with six more sidebars full of crap.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Registered

That is crap, and hopefully it will bite BT in the arse soon. Bad business practices get hammered fast in times like these.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Shame on BT.com.

IMO, you've paid for a dedicated and single product focused classified advertisement on BT.com. That gives you "exposure exclusivity" for the product you're selling..and not just when a Prospect has clicked your listing and is viewing the full detailed page; your exclusivity, and the value of your advertising dollar(s), should carry-through to each aspect of the individual prospect lead generation and follow-up process triggered by the consumer's expressed interest to your specific listing(s).

While its possible BT.com may have the legal "right" to do so (if this practice is published and visible to potential advertisers) -- IMO the issue is more of what makes good business practice and what doesn't. For BT.com to cross-sell to another company's (or individual's) product through electronic follow-up (email / pop-ups, etc.) goes far beyond being wrong-- it's misguided and stupid.

The fact that advertisers are only discovering this due to their own due diligence -- or worse yet..by accident -- is an even worse commentary on BT.com's business practices.
I2D
Old 10-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I don't like it and will no longer list an ad with them because of this. Their website has gotten progressively worse anyways.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

So long BT,you have driven away a long time customer.

Last edited by Magicfloat; 11-01-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

I hate it for you Majicfloat as this is just another thing making business tougher but I think you made the right choice. if I remember right you were a Glastron dealer way back when my dad was there (Ernest Schmidt) so you were probably listing with BT when they were a print publication. so they have thrown away an advertiser of what, 30 or 40 years? while their view count may be up now, the loss of more and more advertisers will send them the way of Netflix (just ask them how their stock is doing) best of luck.
steve
Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Hi,Steve,good to hear from you.Sold our first Glastron in 1966,stayed with them for 30+ years.I miss the old days.Tell your mom and dad hi.Robert
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

yea, things were a lot different back in the day. I remember going in the big storage building at Glastron and seeing hundreds of hulls waiting to go to the rigging line. they went through something like a tanker truck of resin every couple of days. of course that was in the good ol' days when everyone wanted a boat and sales were strong. sure miss that (and the dealer meetings)