Are Blue underwater LED lights Illegal in your area >

Are Blue underwater LED lights Illegal in your area

Notices

Are Blue underwater LED lights Illegal in your area

Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Are Blue underwater LED lights Illegal in your area

We had our boat on the lift in our dock. Our BLUE LED light was on and a few inches above the water line. The local law enforcement appears and informed us it was illegal to have a blue light. I informed them it was actually supposed to be underwater and add a light effect. He said it was still illegal even underwater! They told me to change it to white. anyone else have this issue?

It did cause them to miss my son's potato gun thou!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would ask the officer what law and subsection?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by skate
We had our boat on the lift in our dock. Our BLUE LED light was on and a few inches above the water line. The local law enforcement appears and informed us it was illegal to have a blue light. I informed them it was actually supposed to be underwater and add a light effect. He said it was still illegal even underwater! They told me to change it to white. anyone else have this issue?

It did cause them to miss my son's potato gun thou!
You have to be kidding me, the police lights are up high and flash. They are not down low on the boat or even underwater. Don't they have anything better to do?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can only give you trouble if your other lights can be confused with navigational lights.
I hear about this all the time when they give you a hard time about using spot lights.
I'm sure the the folks at Ocean LED and the others considered that before coming out with the products. They even show them in the marketing materials when underway.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

What color were the emergency lights on his boat? Blue by chance?

He could be right. It depends on the local laws. For instance, different states have different colors for emergency vehicles; just like you can't run emergency color lights on your car/truck as that is an offense of imersonating an officer/emergency vehicle.

1) At night, you can't tell what height lights are above the water, especially if yours was up above the water line.

2) Your dock could be seen as "a place a refuge" if someone thinks you are a police or fire boat. Imagine if someone shows up on your dock with an emergency thinking you are police or fire.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

He could be right. It depends on the local laws. For instance, different states have different colors for emergency vehicles; just like you can't run emergency color lights on your car/truck as that is an offense of imersonating an officer/emergency vehicle.

1) At night, you can't tell what height lights are above the water, especially if yours was up above the water line.

2) Your dock could be seen as "a place a refuge" if someone thinks you are a police or fire boat. Imagine if someone shows up on your dock with an emergency thinking you are police or fire.

I understand that entirely with the boat on the lift as I had it. We did notice several other boats that night with blue underwater LED lights and there is an obvious diffference when emersed.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Registered

Sounds like he was having a bad day. Small crank complex AKA. law enforcement officer
Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

That could be awful if someone showed up that needed help. As for cars not having lights the same color as emergency vehicles doesn't really make since. Almost all police cars have red and blue lights and every car on the road has red brake lights. So isn't that kind of the same thing as a boat with blue underwater lights? I could understand if a boat had blue lights on top of a wake tower.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet-N-Wild
That could be awful if someone showed up that needed help. As for cars not having lights the same color as emergency vehicles doesn't really make since. Almost all police cars have red and blue lights and every car on the road has red brake lights. So isn't that kind of the same thing as a boat with blue underwater lights? I could understand if a boat had blue lights on top of a wake tower.
Not the case in all states. There are different color lights for different vehicles. (I used to be an EMT and FF in a couple states.)

Right, but you can't have red lights on top of your car except for the HMSL, nor can you have them facing forward.

We digress, but I think we have already found the root of the issue.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

Not the case in all states. There are different color lights for different vehicles. (I used to be an EMT and FF in a couple states.)

Right, but you can't have red lights on top of your car except for the HMSL, nor can you have them facing forward.

We digress, but I think we have already found the root of the issue.
Well I think if people like the underwater lights they have to use a different color or just know the blue lights might cause you and issue so just be ready for it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.