Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone run Konrads on a cat or other 100+mph ride? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265015-anyone-run-konrads-cat-other-100-mph-ride.html)

fantastixvoyage 10-31-2011 01:25 PM

Anyone run Konrads on a cat or other 100+mph ride?

Researching reasonable drive option for a cat with 800hp and keep coming back to Konrads but you don't find much on them other than on big heavy vees.

Anyone have these on a boat running over 100mph? Or on a cat? Be curious to see how they've performed.

TeamSaris 10-31-2011 01:34 PM

Not sure if the lower unit design would work, PM Biggus (Kurt) he will know. I think theres a 32 Skater in the Classies with them

fantastixvoyage 10-31-2011 01:37 PM

Agree, the lowers is what has me a bit concerned. Basically looking at options to compete with wet-sump 6's.

A.O. Razor 10-31-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage (Post 3540316)
Researching reasonable drive option for a cat with 800hp and keep coming back to Konrads but you don't find much on them other than on big heavy vees.

Anyone have these on a boat running over 100mph? Or on a cat? Be curious to see how they've performed.

Question.

Why not go with Arneson #7M's and have a super strong drive that will ad extra speed over a normal Bravo XR style drive, instead of running a drive that will weigh more, be slower than an XR (with same power) and possibly not as strong? I highly doubt a complete Konrad setup will be much cheaper than the ASD#7M. Also with the Konrad you will have to run Bravo style props, and they throw blades like mad when surfaced. It is also more than 200lbs lighter than a #6 pr. drive.

Just an opinion.

Good luck with the project.

fantastixvoyage 10-31-2011 01:47 PM

Surface drives are of course also under consideration (cant go wrong with a sick roostertail!). A clean, used set of ASD or wet sump 6's are at the top of the list but just want looking at all of my "bang for the buck" options.

Biggus 10-31-2011 01:52 PM

We've got a customer with a 34' DCB cat that has enjoyed fantastic results (5 seasons zero failures) with his Konrad ACE packages/800 Teagues. The boat runs 130 at 7% slip but they are mounted somewhat deep for a cat at .5" below the hull. The present generation gear case works best below the surface.

[email protected]
715-410-0735

fantastixvoyage 10-31-2011 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Biggus (Post 3540334)
The present generation gear case works best below the surface.

Hope I'm reading between the lines here and Konrad may have something new in the works....:drink:

Thanks for the reply Kurt, was just doing a bit of background research before I gave you guys a call. Sounds like good numbers on the DCB.

A.O. Razor 10-31-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage (Post 3540329)
Surface drives are of course also under consideration (cant go wrong with a sick roostertail!). A clean, used set of ASD or wet sump 6's are at the top of the list but just want looking at all of my "bang for the buck" options.

In terms of price vs. speed, the ASD's are hard to beat. If you run 10-12+ mph faster with the ASD's compared to the Konrads and 5-6+ mph faster compared to the wet #6, you will have to spend big bucks to get those mph out of the boat, when already at 800hp a side. A used dry sump #6 is not cheap, neither is a good used wet sump, and the wet sump will be quite a bit slower than the ASD and dry #6 + saving 400-450lbs. or more, is a good thing for acceleration. too.

What is your budget and have you talked to Rik about what an ASD setup will cost?

rlj676 11-01-2011 07:39 PM

Does this mean a certain Skater project is moving along.....

I say keep looking for some used Arnesons for max efficiency/reliability.

A.O. Razor 11-01-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by rlj676 (Post 3541101)
Does this mean a certain Skater project is moving along.....

I say keep looking for some used Arnesons for max efficiency/reliability.

There is resale too. A 36 Skater with ASD's is a much much more attractive boat for a potential buyer than when fitted with just about any other drive out there. Of course dry #6's are nice too.