If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member Platinum Member Twin O/B Sonic's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '88 32' Marinette seadan, bridge
    Clarksville (Cincy) Ohio
    DD, ever seen a picture or video of one running? I thought I remembered them announcing a production run but never doing it??

The bellow guy built a 2 speed 15 yrs ago. Used to be pix's somewhere.
    I think used a 2 speed drag bike (Fuel??) transmission in the mid section. Never got it to work though.

You guys need to see some of this stuff run to appreciate it.
    Video bellow is a buddy w/a naturally aspirated 3.3 liter 2 stroke V-6 making over 450 HP's in lake tune. (started as a 225 JohnRude fish motor )Has been over 600 in race tune w/o spraying it.
    A 600 HP 3.3 V-6 turning 10K??? Works for me.

The attached shot is of Mr. Jon Wright the O/B drag world record holder and the one that tried the 2 speed O/B.
    His record is 7.54 @ 156 on 2.5 liters w/a truck load of spray.

Clip on, 450 HP dyno pull.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in the garage than win w/stuff I bought.

Gold Member Gold Member
    My Boats:
    Baja 342 Raylar HO 600's
    Delray Beach, FL
    So what you are saying is this is a perfect outboard for a Mini Hawk!

My Boats:
    04 34 Baja CC 2 x 250xs, '79 Mastercraft S&S
    Marblehead/Cleveland, Oh
    Quote Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic View Post
    DD, ever seen a picture or video of one running? I thought I remembered them announcing a production run but never doing it??
    Never saw one running, heard they only made one, did see it at the Miami show in 93 or 94....I wanted to take the hood off it at the show, there was no way the Merc guys were going to let that happen. That cav plate was way cool in person! I was sold!!! Years later I had heard whispers of production prices over 25k....way ahead of its time!

My Boats:
    1999 Pantera 24 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by A.O. Razor View Post
    Well dug up a little info here and there during lunch

It's not a BH lower. It is infact a two speed, not in the normal sense, but in the sense that one high pitch prop is free wheeling while the low pitch prop accelerates the boat and runs at lower speeds. Then at a set rpm, a clutch of some kind shifts to the other prop with high pitch, thus making the low pitch prop free wheel. That is some bad azz engineering in a small gearcase like that.

I agree pretty impressive!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12