If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 97FASTech View Post
    If your going to use plywood, use exterior grade. The glue will hold up better to the elements.That's if you don't use marine grade. I used 1/2' treated plywood on my sun pad, maybe over kill, but no more rot the last few inches when the drain gets plugged.
    I'm going to use marine grade, found a place local for $78/ sheet for 3/4 and $58/sheet for 1/2 (a little more than double the price of treated plywood here locally). I'm going to do the back of the seat in 3/4 and the rest in 1/2, this saves ~60lbs over what is currently there (plus the additional weight of the water logged wood that's there, not much, but it's something.
    Last edited by brivander; 11-06-2011 at 06:44 PM.

My Boats:
    Quarter Time Merc Racing 500HP 272 Baja Boss
    Lake Orion Michigan

I use 1/2 treated plywood, glassed it all , resin is cheap. light and I wont have to touch it again

Neno the mind boggler VIP Member glassdave's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
    toledo oh
    Don't use treated in marine applications especially if you plan to coat with resin, use a good marine ply. The best way to apply resin is to do a hot coat, let that cure then apply another coat with a waxing agent. I go a bit further with my stuff and fully encapsulate the structure with ounce and a half mat. The biggest problem is the edges where the wood can breathe and open up the surface coat.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
    08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
    08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
    08 OPA High Points Champion
    10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

My Boats:
    1999 Nordic Flame 35'
    Peoria, AZ
    I used King Star-Light to re-do my seat and engine cover/hatch. Stuff is flexible, takes staples, will last forever and I paid $86 per sheet locally in Phoenix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12